• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How long should I wait before I OC!

Kasher_Khan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
297
So my new machine hasn't been running for more than a day now. My CPU temp is 35C at idle and NB at 45C (isn't this a bit hot). Anyways I wanted to know how long should I wait before I can atempt an OC. The reason I wanna hurry things up is cause I am playing around a lot my my new PC and have been putting a lot of stuff on it already. It would suck if I corrupted all the data on it.(I know about using a second HDD... but I don't have one handy at the moment). Also should I wait for the AS5 to set it completely before I do any serious OCing... Thanx!

CPU: AMD Opteron 148 (939) 1MB L2 Cache CABYE540
MoBo: DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NForce4
CASE: Antec P180 Silent Case
HSF: Sycthe Ninja Scnj-1000 heatpipe cooler (120m fan)
RAM: GSKILL 2GB(2X1) PC4000 (3,4,4,8)
Gfx: Evga Geforece 7800GT Oced(470/1100) P2N517
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB (10000rpm) SATA150
DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW 16X DRU800A
PCI: Creative XFi Xtreme Music Sound Card
PSU: Antec NeoHE 500 watt (modular)
 
I had the same dilemma as you when i built my pc 2months ago.

I think that you should download all the software, such as PRIME95 and memtest and perhapes read a few guides on OCIng, and then go for it.

hope this helps.
 
Before you jump into any overclocking make sure your temps are fine. AS5 is pretty important. Remember too that overclocking takes time don't rush it.
 
Few things you should do before overclocking:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers and everything.
2. Run Memtest and Prime95 [individually] at stock speeds to make sure everything's fine.
3. [Ideally] Use a DMM to check your power supply's voltage lines. Or you can use Motherboard Monitor.

Then, you're off!! You've got a decent stepping there too, so I'd expect 2.8GHz :)
 
Bona Fide said:
Then, you're off!! You've got a decent stepping there too, so I'd expect 2.8GHz :)
CABYE's are great overclockers! :) :cool: You might be able to expect 2.8ghz easily. ;)
 
Now everyones told you how good your processor is... GO AND OC THE HELL OUTTA THAT BEAST!!
 
coolkishan said:
Now everyones told you how good your processor is... GO AND OC THE HELL OUTTA THAT BEAST!!
I agree! WTFBBQOCTHATB1OTCHTILLFIRECOM3SOUT!!!11

/sarcasm
 
I always OC right out of the box. I get it up and running, get all my updates for the motherboard, chipset, video card, windows and so forth and then I dive right into overclocking. Doesn't seem to affect anything either, which I can't see why it would affect anything anyways if you waited or not.
 
i'm hesitant to OC because I don't wanna decrease the life of my PC. i've heard that once you start to OC it, you are playing around with the lifespan of the chip. with my dfi ultra-d and the 3000+ it seems i could easily touch 2.8 ghz (stock 1.8ghz) specially with the zalman i got on it.... idk if i should though since I don't wanna burn it up...
 
I guess I will give the AS5 a few days. I couldn't help but take a quick shot at a small overclock. Went from 2.2 to 2.4 and it seems like the hardware was staring back at me with "Is that all you got" kinda look!

2.8 is what I am aiming for! I didn't surround my CPU with 3 120mms and a ninja for nothing!

Thanx for the encouragement though!
 
chambersc said:
i'm hesitant to OC because I don't wanna decrease the life of my PC. i've heard that once you start to OC it, you are playing around with the lifespan of the chip. with my dfi ultra-d and the 3000+ it seems i could easily touch 2.8 ghz (stock 1.8ghz) specially with the zalman i got on it.... idk if i should though since I don't wanna burn it up...

Even if you OC a decent amount the lifespan of the cpu will probably exceed the time you'd want to keep it, that is, until your next upgrade. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Dr. X said:
Even if you OC a decent amount the lifespan of the cpu will probably exceed the time you'd want to keep it, that is, until your next upgrade. I wouldn't worry about it.

well, im going off to a uni and my finances are uncertain so i'm going to make this last a while (or try to). i haven't seen any real reviews (or statistics) that show how long the average CPU lasts and by how much its life decreases per mhz of OCing and all that. if you or anyone could point me to something that shows the average lifespan of a processor and then one OCed i'd be much obliged.
 
i think lifespan decreasing is mostly from high temps and high vcore, not specifically from mhz going up, although higher temps and needing higher vcore to run stably is a result of increasing mhz.
 
Soymilk said:
i think lifespan decreasing is mostly from high temps and high vcore, not specifically from mhz going up, although higher temps and needing higher vcore to run stably is a result of increasing mhz.
Think of it this way, almost all the cores they use in their different speed chips are the same core. Some run hotter than others and some need more voltage to run at a given speed than others, and they bin the chips accordingly.

Odds are that your chip can probably go faster than rated speed without a voltage bump, meaning that you technically could have a 3200 even though you bought a 3000 ;)
 
Back
Top