How long for a WU?

Keith130

Limp Gawd
I have just started folding and was wondering how long it takes on avarage to fold a 400 frame thingy? Im running @ 2.0GHz.

You need to look at the name of the WU (pWhatever) and compare it to the psummary table. Then check to see if it is Gromacs or tinker. If you are running a P4 at 2 Ghz expect about 80 points per day.
Since your thingy is 400 frames I would suspect it is a Tinker. These do not use the most optimized code and only get about half as much.
For example here's a chart of ppdg:
t23ppdg.bmp

Anything from 6 hours to 2 days depending on the work unit.

As its a 400 frame one then on an AMD system it will fold around 0.7 points per hour per Ghz.

http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html shows all current work units.
Just find yours and devide points by 1.4 to get the approx time it will take.
If your running a Pentium then it will take longer.

Luck......:D

Im folding p692_L939_K12M_int and the credit says 70.90. What does that mean?

Credit of 70.9 points means that you get 70.9 points added to your account when this work unit is completed and turned in. You have one of the monster Tinker units - they take awhile to complete. My fastest rigs will complete one in about 28 houra (AMD XP 2700 Oc'd to 2.33 ghz), while my slowest one will take about 42 hours (AMD XP 1900 @ 1.6ghz).

These are the largest units Stanford has done, to the best of my knowledge. But if you go and look at the project summary page, you will find units of all sizes and points.

The points received for completing work units is strictly to foster competition amongst the members and give you an idea of how much work you've contributed. It has nothing to do with the science, but it is necessary. :)

Ah right, I recon that by the time I finnish it (91% done) it will have been working on it for around 49-52 hours. Do you have your rigs running it at full whack all the time, I switch the processing down when im actually doing something on the comp.

If you want help we need the name of the processor.
AMD ? Intel ?
There are flags that you can apply to the client which will help you get proteins that process faster, i.e Gromacs.
That Tinker your machine is chewing is the same one I've got on my Cely 450. Which will probably process it in about 220 hours, or not quite 10 days..

And Bill - what about p257 - 105 points with an 18 day deadline ??
Base on their "rules"
Each work unit is benchmarked on a dedicated 500 MHz Celeron machine without SSE/3DNow. We look at how many days it takes, and multiply this by 2.5.
That Cely 500 processes it in 7.2 days!!
That is one helluva dedicated celeron!

p257 is the best one to fold.

At 2Ghz I can fold it in 19.75 hours.
So somewhere Stanford made a mistake with the points for this protien.
Its worth almost double what it should be.

Luck.......:D

Gnewbury,

Thanks for correcting me. I have not processed one of those p257 wu. That's huge. :)

Back