How long does the "Please Wait" screen on Vista64 take?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
After I installed my new parts in my main rig, I happened to have problems with XP not booting (used Sysprep prior to removing the old mobo and parts) and then doing a repair which didn't work, couldn't log on till I activated and the new mobo doesn't have drivers built into XP SP 2 setup, so I'd get to the log on screen, log in, then get prompted to activate, then boots me back to the log in screen.

So I decided to install Vista. Popped the disc in and it did a couple of things, then it went to a screen that said "Please Wait" I believe and it sat there for about 45 minutes. I got tired of waiting and just did a fresh install of XP.

Could it have been the amount of drives attached? I have 10 (7 internal 3 external).

I have 10 (7 internal 3 external).
The question WHY comes to mind. That certainly could have added to the time, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why you'd have external drives connected during the OS install. Well, unless you wanted to see what strange letter you could make your system volume, instead of that boring old letter C.

K.I.S.S.

If you plan to install Vista in the future, disconnect all external drives, and any internal drives that have partitions on them (that aren't going to be deleted).

Actually, I didn't have the externals hooked up. I just remembered that. It was just the 7 internal ones.

When I do attempt to install it again, I'll just have one drive attached, like I normally do when I install an OS.
I was just frustrated that a simple mobo/cpu/ram/video card swap was causing so many issues.

Back