How long do mice usually last before problems set in?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have gone through at least four optical mice ($30-$50) in the past five years and the last few mine I have had seemed to end up having mechanical problems after a year or two.

Sticky buttons (the button comes up but the sensor does not sense it), double clicks or the problem I have now is that I can press and hold the button but when I release it, the button magically seems to click making highlighting stuff next to impossible. I currently have an MS Explorer 3.0a. I have had these problems on Logitech and another MS cheap optical mice. (yeah and the wire problem which they seemed to have fixed). I am getting fed up with this mice to the extent that I am looking for a replacement. When the problem started happening, I could blow under the button and it would fix the problem for a short while but as it progressed, that does not help anymore.

Am I the only one who has these problems with old (a whole year or two) or does everyone have these problems?

Originally posted by Staples
What brand is it?
I've used logitech MX500, basic microsoft ball mice, and some off-brand "keio" optical mouse.

Originally posted by jagec
nope. Mice should work fine for years and years....

Yes, they should, unless you are either:
a)Throwing them at things when you lose a game
b)Hitting the desk with them to get them to work
or c) Using them 25/8

Or they are just crappy mice.

Hehe, I used to band them on the desk in FPS because my mouse pad was too small. I since turned up the sensitivity in games before I bought this mouse. I just blow under the mouse button and it seems like only one in ten clicks has a double click reaction. I guess maybe this method will work for a little longer. It seems that there is something stuck in the sensor.

disassemble your mouse and clean it.

Or use some of that compressed air and spray under the button.

Ya, excercise finesse...sounds like your fingers are hitting the mouse buttons to the point you are destroying the contacts in the buttons. if not perhaps the buttons are gummed up with debris like gummed clammy hand sweat, cigarette soot, dorito's gook, or maybe remenants of some other snack. make sure the cords aren't getting pinched against a wall or anything too.

Originally posted by Gruntled Employee
Ya, excercise finesse...sounds like your fingers are hitting the mouse buttons to the point you are destroying the contacts in the buttons. ]

Good and possible theory.

if not perhaps the buttons are gummed up with debris like gummed clammy hand sweat, cigarette soot, dorito's gook, or maybe remenants of some other snack. make sure the cords aren't getting pinched against a wall or anything too.
My hands are always pretty clean. People always ask me why my hands are so soft and I always say, so are you saying that I am less of a man (jokingly of course). Cords all look fine, my desk is never really that close to the wall. When I get a new mouse, I will be sure not to be so rough with the buttons and maybe that will keep it lasting longer.

And on a side note, I am glad they are moving to vB 3, I like the quote tags better.

I killed a mouse and a keyboard by throwing it, smashing it, after I lost chess games online. Just an excuse to buy a better one back then, which I respected enough not to abuse.

Your hands are soft? Could this be because of lotion you might use on your hands that gets inside the mouse?

If so.. what's the lotion for.. ?

I'n 10yrs of computing, I've only had one mouse die on me. All my recent mice are solid, and my MX700 seems like it will last a while.

I have a MX700, and the only problems I have ever had, were it bieng on the same channel as something else in the neighborhood. Changed channels and it works fine now.

I bought my MS Intellimouse Optical when they first came out like 5 or 6 years ago and it's still working perfectly... and, I never EVER cleaned inside it... but, I did paint it black..... :p (looks much cooler... cept for where the paint ended up coming off)...

Originally posted by aL Mac

Your hands are soft? Could this be because of lotion you might use on your hands that gets inside the mouse?

If so.. what's the lotion for.. ?
No, I never put lotion on my hands face or anything. People tell me is is because I never do any manual labor but I think it is just a genetical thing. My father had soft hands also but not soft as mine.

Hogwash, go dig a ditch!

ONly mice I ever had die were these crappy Toshiba ball mice. I liked the keyboards tho so I used 'em for years.

Back