How long before refund when USPS loses package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
I just sold a 4770k and a 212 EVO on Sat. here. I've always had good luck with Priority Mail so I dropped both packages off at the local central office with Paypal prepaid labels like I always do (they are open 24 hours). The cooler was delivered yesterday to about as far away as the other was going, but the proc never moved at all. Origin scan on Sat night, then nothing. Been hung up on by USPS repeatedly but finally today someone felt like working and said they opened a case to have the missing package investigated... That kind of surprised me considering it was only supposed to be delivered today, but it is pretty obviously missing--the other package tracking has scans even on Sunday. I figure either the label got messed up because I was in a hurry or it got stolen.

Yes, I insured it.

My question is: what is the proper etiquette for refunding the buyer if the package doesn't turn up? I don't expect to get any actual information or money from USPS for a while, though they said they would contact me within 1 business day. So how long should I wait to hear about the package before I send back the buyers money?

It would seem really hasty to just immediately refund when a tracking number shows no movement but the giant raging pessimist inside me is convinced I'll be doing that sooner or later and well before I get my insurance claim check. That same pessimistic outlook says that if I refund the money USPS will immediately deliver the package to the buyer to make things more complicated. I tend to overreact about things but I definitely have the feeling this package isn't headed anywhere near where it's supposed to be.

I would basically contact the buyer and explain the problem. Once you figure out it isn't going to be delivered then a full refund should be given for the cpu part. Then you need to get your money back from USPS. As sometimes it will show no movement and then it get delivered. Even had times when it said it would be a few days before it was delivered. Yes the package would be in my hands and never updated.

Plus it being the holidays. I would imagine there are mass amounts of stuff being shipped right now. See if he will wait a little longer on the status. Also next time put it all in one box. Good luck.

You dropped off the package on Saturday, it is Tuesday now, and you think it is already confirmed to be 100% lost and unrecoverable? Wow you must be terrible for those people to deal with on the phone, very likely why they hung up on you. Delivery dates are estimates.

Just wait a few days, it will show up somewhere. USPS isn't good with scanning everything or updating their tracking system.

The proper etiquette is to calm down and wait a few days. You aren't dropping live organs in the mail or anything. Also you probably aren't getting a refund at all if it never gets scanned.

How about we try and not be trolls in the TTT forum, huh?

I said IF it doesn't show up what's the proper etiquette.

I'm a peach on the phone sometimes I'm sure. It's awesome when some dipshit CSR tells you something like "Oh it's because of all the snow you've been having in Texas." It hasn't snowed in San Antonio in like 3 years.

I sent 2 packages out same time, 1 went somewhere 1 didn't. If they'd been to the same person of course I would have put them in the same box... asking where the package is doesn't seem too unreasonable.

How about we try and not be trolls in the TTT forum, huh?

I said IF it doesn't show up what's the proper etiquette.

I'm a peach on the phone sometimes I'm sure. It's awesome when some dipshit CSR tells you something like "Oh it's because of all the snow you've been having in Texas." It hasn't snowed in San Antonio in like 3 years.

I sent 2 packages out same time, 1 went somewhere 1 didn't. If they'd been to the same person of course I would have put them in the same box... asking where the package is doesn't seem too unreasonable.

was it a flat rate box for both packages or your own packaging? I would give it a few more days.

USPS seems to be super fast and reliable when shipping with their flat rate boxes, but if I do my own packaging it is always slow.

Give it a few days. Call your local PO and ask for an update, they'll look into it.

was it a flat rate box for both packages or your own packaging? I would give it a few more days.

USPS seems to be super fast and reliable when shipping with their flat rate boxes, but if I do my own packaging it is always slow.

Ya, that's a good point. Never tried their packaging. I've almost always used USPS and I've never seen this before but that's why I wanted advice because I've only done maybe 30 transactions as the seller total between eBay and [H].

The best thing is if your package is under 13oz. Then it's cheap and fast and insured. Neither of these were that light and they were reused Newegg boxes. I was concerned that I might have smudged the barcode or taped over it badly on the "lost" package because I was in a rush. If I did, that maybe didn't help, but of course (in accordance with my pessimism) after creating this turd of a thread the damn package has just been scanned in what now occurs to me is not a good part of the country weather wise this time of year.

But my hypothetical was what if it DIDNT? An "investigation" could drag on for 30 days easily. I'm not worried about "getting screwed" here or just being nihilistic, I'm advocating for my buyer! I like to be on top of things. What's reasonable as far as time frame for a refund? I don't think it's fair to ask a buyer to wait for an investigation to conclude, but where does one draw the line? Obviously the buyer in a situation like this can open a case with Paypal long before the PO necessarily responds to a genuine case of theft or something like that.

Normally I'd close the thread myself but the question still stands even if I do look like an ass for assuming the worst (which I'm man enough to admit is typical of me) when there was nothing more than normal shit going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back