How long after 1080 is released will 900 series cards stay around?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
The 1080 seems to have only a DVI-D connector, but I need the DVI-I of the 900 series. So I was wondering if Nvidia keeps all the good previous gen cards for x time or until stock is out.

Nope. 970, 980, 980ti, and Titan X's are already leaving the channel. Very soon if you want one, you'll need to go used.

There's no replacement for the 960 and lower so they'll stick around for awhile.

Hopefully one of the AIB partners will release with a DVI-I plug.

There are active DP / HDMI to analog converters out there. Not cheap, but not crazy either.

So far as I know both companies plan to kill the analog output capabilities of their cards this round - demand is very low, so it's a fairly safe cost cutting measure.

Might be time for a new monitor, OP. Even my 8 year old Planar PX2611w has DVI-D.

There are active DP / HDMI to analog converters out there. Not cheap, but not crazy either.

Actually they are pretty damn cheap. This is assuming that VGA is what is needed, not specifically DVI-I. I got one of these last year for a secondary monitor and so far it works perfect. It supports up to 1920x1080

Amazon.com: VicTsing Gold-plated DisplayPort(DP) Male To VGA Female Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Macbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, this is actually a fairly common requirement for laptops, because many older but still perfectly functional projectors used to display powerpoint slides in business settings only take VGA. They're really the only reason to use VGA these days.

Thanks guys. Ive actually already looked into converters, but they wont do me any good.

I am one of those whackos still using a CRT for gaming. I play either 2304x1440 at 80hz or 1920x1200 at 85hz.

I checked with monoprice, and they dont have anything that supports a resolution that high with a refresh rate that high.

So after the 900 series, it looks like I WILL need to either upgrade my monitor and possibly video cards or perhaps throw in the towel with gaming.

I am one of those whackos still using a CRT for gaming. I play either 2304x1440 at 80hz or 1920x1200 at 85hz.

I checked with monoprice, and they dont have anything that supports a resolution that high with a refresh rate that high.

So after the 900 series, it looks like I WILL need to either upgrade my monitor and possibly video cards or perhaps throw in the towel with gaming.

Most Displayport to VGA adapters will do 1920x1200 @ 60hz. Is 25hz really enough to make you give up gaming?

Last edited:
You should stop being so picky.

My CRT died a year and a half ago and I replaced it with an Asus 1ms TN, and the response time is exactly the same as my old monitor. The now-perfected Overdrive gives you zero ghosting!

At 1080p, you can run most monitors at 74 Hz, so you don't even have to splurge for the 144 Hz premium things :D

Plus you know that the LCDs don't have flicker, so you don't have to hit 85 Hz to be "flicker-free" like you do on a CRT.

Mind you, the the colors and contrast is not as good, but I rarely play dark shooters, and I rarely watch movies on this thing. And you don't have to deal with IPS glow, or the various perils of *VA panels.

Most Displayport to VGA adapters will do 1920x1200 @ 60hz. Is 25hz really enough to make you give up gaming?

With a good LCD dropping back to 60Hz is nothing for most people. With a CRT... I may be the difference between being able to game all day and having a migraine at 15 minutes in. I still remember my Dell P1110 (rebranded 21" Sony Trinitron tube). It was crazy high end back in the day; I spent more for that thing used than I had on anything else in my life at ~age 18 ($600 used, was $1100+ new at the time). Fucker was miserable below ~80Hz, even then. I couldn't look at it for more than a few minutes. I was (obviously) willing to deal with screen tearing though. GPUs back then couldn't hope to push 85+FPS in most titles at high res.

Also, default is insane (in this instance -- we normally agree). Ignore him. If you buy a TN (ANY TN) you will be miserable. Just... trust me. Or buy from a local store you can return to without penalty (Best Buy, Staples, etc). Because you will hate, and you will return. I promise.

TNs are complete and utter shit and shouldn't be manufactured for anything other than office work. I don't care how fast it is if it looks like crap all the time. Color shift from top to bottom of the panel /all the time/ to the point that things look completely different? Color reproduction in the toilet under the best of conditions? Washed out and nasty. No.

Last edited:
No its just that I am barely playing anything these days. Before Doom I played Infinite and almost nothing inbetween.

You should stop being so picky....

I know I know lol. I spent a lot on my Sony GDM FW900 back in the 00s, but I was gaming a lot back then. Now not so much which is why I am debating. Before Doom I played Infinite and almost nothing in between.

With a good LCD dropping back to 60Hz is nothing for most people. With a CRT... I may be the difference between being able to game all day and having a migraine at 15 minutes in. I still remember my Dell P1110 (rebranded 21" Sony Trinitron tube). It was crazy high end back in the day; I spent more for that thing used than I had on anything else in my life at ~age 18 ($600 used, was $1100+ new at the time). Fucker was miserable below ~80Hz, even then. I couldn't look at it for more than a few minutes. I was (obviously) willing to deal with screen tearing though. GPUs back then couldn't hope to push 85+FPS in most titles at high res.

Also, default is insane (in this instance -- we normally agree). Ignore him. If you buy a TN (ANY TN) you will be miserable. Just... trust me. Or buy from a local store you can return to without penalty (Best Buy, Staples, etc). Because you will hate, and you will return. I promise.

TNs are complete and utter shit and shouldn't be manufactured for anything other than office work. I don't care how fast it is if it looks like crap all the time. Color shift from top to bottom of the panel /all the time/ to the point that things look completely different? Color reproduction in the toilet under the best of conditions? Washed out and nasty. No.

Fair enough, I was just trying to appeal to him if he was a twitch gamer. If not, there are some decent IPS panels out there.

The older TN's 6bit or fake 8bit (6bit + FRC), I would have agreed with you completely on this.

The newer 8bit TN's are much less susceptible to colour shifts than most, though brightness shift is still quite apparent.

I notice no discernible washing out when using a 27" 8bit TN if you tilt the top of the monitor towards you, and I notice significantly more motion blur on IPS monitors (directly comparing PG278Q ot BL3201PT), though the blur still largely disappeared after about 30 seconds.

Even though I own a 4k IPS 32", I still haven't gotten rid of the Swift for reasons that BL3201PT, despite its superior viewing angle, still has the exact same problem as every other IPS's under the sun: the glow, and the most annoying thing about that glove is that it appears ABOVE everything else, even stuff that should appear dark (actually, it's more apparently when it IS dark). This leads to edges looking much brighter when displaying dark content. So I ended up preferring to watch MOVIES on Swift than BL3201PT, though it depends on the content.

I agree on the part about returning policy. Nothing beats seeing it for yourself.

Fair enough, I was just trying to appeal to him if he was a twitch gamer. If not, there are some decent IPS panels out there.
Definetely twitch. I love the new Doom and used to be in an Unreal Tournament Clan. Not sure about my future with UT, though.

Definetely twitch. I love the new Doom and used to be in an Unreal Tournament Clan. Not sure about my future with UT, though.

Well, I come from the Quakeworld Team Fortress Clan side of the coin. I don't play competitive online anymore, but I still notice the difference, hence the TN gaming panel.

But I'll occasionally bust out TF2, which is a fantastic sequel. I've definitely lost a step, but it's still good fun.

As a former W900 and FW900 user I can promise you will be happy with a 120hz LCD *with* anti-motion blur. It is old now, but my Asus VG248QE with anti-motion blur on looks beautiful. In my little bit of reading since I got this, BenQ has been talked up as the best backlight pulsing system, but still do your research. I will be staying with this monitor until a 1440 anti-motion blur 21:9 shows up.

The only thing that comes to mind that may work would be some sort of an intermediate device, not sure who would have one though. Maybe Matrox or BlackMagic...

Back