How is x64 for..............

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
How is x64 for gaming. I'm thinking about putting it on my system. (I'm a hardcore gamer) :p

AlexStenka said:
How is x64 for gaming. I'm thinking about putting it on my system. (I'm a hardcore gamer) :p

Then stick with xp. There are some driver issues still tha tcould hinder performance and some compatibility issues with some games.

You definitely should stick to 32bit for now. The good news is, it gives you time to search these forums for the million other threads asking how 64bit XP is for gaming ;)

djnes said:
You definitely should stick to 32bit for now. The good news is, it gives you time to search these forums for the million other threads asking how 64bit XP is for gaming ;)

The bad news is by me recommending everyone stay with xp 32bit I get no market pressure to help me out.

Spectre said:
The bad news is by me recommending everyone stay with xp 32bit I get no market pressure to help me out.
One of the things I've learned here in my 5+ years on these boards is that giving the right, truthful answer isn't always the same as the popular, or expected answer.

64-bit windows is also slower at some things. I had googled a review on it, comaring 32 vs 64. It had something to do with the overhead of having all of the extra registers.

Unless you have a specific need for 64-bit computing, I would stick with regular 32bit windows xp. But, you could always install 64-bit linux free of charge (once you download it).

F.E.A.R.
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Quake IV
Quake II
NFS:MW
Hulk
Steam (and all things steam)
Far Cry x64

..all work great (haven't tried any other games as of yet)

x64 versions of all the steam games? ...hmmm

[H]

if you run a dual core you'll have alot more problems with it then you will with xpx64 thats what alot of people arent concidering... dual core I have problems with any unreal engine based games... on of my favorite being lineage 2... BUT that can be fixed by using winxplauncher...

I dont see any special increase in performance with any of the 64bit games tho either...

one thing I DO have a problem with is about after an hour or a 2 of straight up gaming my x64 decides it would be a good idea to go ahead and just die... if anyone knows why this might be I'd love an answer... but all I know is its really something to piss me off :p... just make sure you keep up with all your drivers and junk for all of your hardware!! and you should be fine with anything and everything

kinson said:
if you run a dual core you'll have alot more problems with it then you will with xpx64 thats what alot of people arent concidering... dual core I have problems with any unreal engine based games... on of my favorite being lineage 2... BUT that can be fixed by using winxplauncher...

I dont see any special increase in performance with any of the 64bit games tho either...

one thing I DO have a problem with is about after an hour or a 2 of straight up gaming my x64 decides it would be a good idea to go ahead and just die... if anyone knows why this might be I'd love an answer... but all I know is its really something to piss me off :p... just make sure you keep up with all your drivers and junk for all of your hardware!! and you should be fine with anything and everything
You should start another thread and ask same question ..but give more details

after a quick google i found this.
http://techgage.com/review.php?id=1434&page=1

even though its kind of old, but it still goes over every possible question you might have. I am acutally thinking about it more and more now. since i stopped gameing for the time being, i wonder how much would my casual usage of the PC feel with 64bit.

hmmm, i have a 10gig USB drive here. i could install windows onto that, but it would b slow rite?

You might have installation problems with a USB drive, and its performance would be slower; and 10Gigs is big enough, but still awfully small. But what the heck...;-)

My current build is all SCSI on an old LSI adapter. You can pick up an 18G 15K scsi drive and adapter for about $50 on Ebay. Presuming it works (always a crap shoot with Ebay hardware) SCSI drives are easy to install 64 bit on. No F6 driver issues. And they make real fast system disks.

I have had nothing but problems with 32bit XP, so I decided I would try X64. Besides the lack of driver support, it's a great OS. Why don't you just dual-boot them?

ThreeDee said:
F.E.A.R.
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Quake IV
Quake II
NFS:MW
Hulk
Steam (and all things steam)
Far Cry x64

I'll add to this:

Call of Duty
CoD 2
Age of Empires 3
World of Warcraft
Tiger Woods 2006

PS. I haven't had any issues while playing games either. I think if you stick with games that are relatively newer, then you'll be fine.

I figured out what the problem was for the crashing... I was just putting some input for this guy....

as far as I can tell man, I can play any and every game that has come out that actually matters, most of which are in the list up ahead... just one thing I like to share is for people to remember if they're running a dual core processor about 99.9% of the problems will be caused by that...

Back