• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How is this TIM application?

1_rick

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
12,562
I'm upgrading my motherboard. Just took off my waterblock, and this is what the mating surfaces looked like after about a year. Does it look OK? Should I have used a bit more TIM?
IMG_20180714_175750.jpg IMG_20180714_180410.jpg
 
This looks fine to me. You probably could have used slightly less paste even, but it's not overdone so as to hinder cooling performance. I wouldn't use any more TIM than what you have in the pictures.
 
+1 It is a bit thick. You might want to check the flatness of the mating surfaces. the TIM looks a bit thinner in the middle which suggests a convex surface on the chip or cooler head. I would suggest a splotch of TIM about this size -> O <- in the middle of the Ryzen's heat spreader - and nowhere else. Let the cooler's pressure and chip heat spread it out evenly.
 
Back
Top