How is the SG01 for cooling?

Reppyboyo

n00b
Hi,

As thread title how is the SG01 for cooling?
I plan to create my first SFF system for gaming and some overclocking, but I havent heard much of the SG01`s cooling performance.
Also, would you think the new SG03 would offer better cooling?

Thanks for the help all.

I just built my first sff last week and had some heat issues that I recently just solved. The SG01 is a beautiful high quality case, but you will have to work on your intake/exhaust fan system to keep your components cool.

I have an 3600+ and 8800GTX both overclocked with a raptor, now that I have the fans in the right positions everything is running cool.

I would definitely recommend the SG01.

I just built my first sff last week and had some heat issues that I recently just solved. The SG01 is a beautiful high quality case, but you will have to work on your intake/exhaust fan system to keep your components cool.

I have an 3600+ and 8800GTX both overclocked with a raptor, now that I have the fans in the right positions everything is running cool.

I would definitely recommend the SG01.

How are your fans configured? (intake/exhaust)

Hi,

As thread title how is the SG01 for cooling?
I plan to create my first SFF system for gaming and some overclocking, but I havent heard much of the SG01`s cooling performance.
Also, would you think the new SG03 would offer better cooling?

Thanks for the help all.

I have tested most of the current crop of SFF cases and they can all cool effectively if you chose components that compliment the airflow characteristics of each case.

For example using a video card card with a double slot cooler that exhausts most of the heat outside the case is a major plus in and SG01 / SG03. Additionally, by using the Silverstone NT06 "lite" CPU cooler mated to a PSU with a bottom mounted 120mm fan will remove most of the CPU heat heat as well. This is the most effective combination to keep an SG01 cool. MY SG03 cools better by 4C with this same setup due to the dual 120mm intake fans.

By contrast - a single slot high end GPU dumping heat inside of the case along with a standard CPU cooler (not to mention competing airflow against the PSU) is going to be a challenge for a case design like the SG01. My old SG01 would overheat constantly when I was trying to run 7800GTX's and a high end AMD CPU with a Zalman cooler.....intestingly enough my Shuttle SN26P was able to cool effectively with the same setup in tighter space due to the very effective Shuttle CPU cooler and airflow charateristics of the case design.

Hope this helps!

Go SG03 to get the 2x120mm fans and grab a NT06 cooler. SG03 also allows SLI and has other small improvements comparatively. The only reason one might contemplate the SG01 is:

1. the shape; they are the same size though
2. the side windows
3. hard drive cooling (placed by 80mm fan)
4. don't like the ugly sidepod on the SG03
5. need (2) 5.25" bays

If you read carefully, you'll note that the SG02 is only available in Europe and Asia.

Back