• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How is the Nikon D40

mitcity22

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
2,415
My fiance really likes to take pictures and wants to get more involved into it.....she is a very artistic person, and has some experience with photoshop, so I think she will do very well with this hobby. Problem is she has only ever had a crappy point and shoot digital camera that I bought her 3 years ago. So I am going to buy her a nice camera to get her started with her new hobby. (plus it will make me feel better about building a new desktop

So pretty much I just wanted to know if you digital camera people think the Nikon D40 is the right camera to get her. I have only seen good reviews and they seem to say that it is a good entry level DSLR camera, the price isn't bad either and I like the fact that it comes in a kit so I won't have to worry about getting any lenses right off the bad. Any one here have any first hand experience with this camera? Or perhaps someone can direct me to a different better camera for my fiance's needs. (I don't want to spend over $500-600)

TIA
 
Somehow I doubt when the question is: "How is the Nikon D40" the answer is even remotely: "I bought a Canon Rebel" :confused: :confused: :confused:

It is a rather new body and I don't think any here have one yet. You can always check the D40 forum at Nikonians to see how other owners feel about it.
 
LOL, I should have checked for a dedicated forums, it seems like everything these days has a fourm.:eek:
 
the D40 itself is pretty good (modeled around the D50).
HOWEVER, all the connections (flash, lens's) have changed. The lenses have gone to a digital motoring point.

As a result there may not be many lenses (or the ones that there are are going to be more pricy)
 
False. The connections are the same. The only difference is there is no internal motor for the screwdriver-type AF lenses.
 
Personally I would go with the D50. B&H has a good price on it at the momment. I posted a link in another thered. The reason I say go for the 50 is there wont be the same limitation on lenses. I have a D50 and, am more than satisfied with it.
 
Back
Top