how is my overclock so far? (work in progress)

Obiwanshinobi900

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
330
So far I have my q6600 @3.0 on voltage of 1.32 according to core temp and 1.29 according to cpu z.
My temps on load right now is about 57c max. Apparently I wasn't paying attention earlier and had my cpu core voltage set to auto and it was putting me at 1.38-1.40 voltages. I dropped it to 1.36 in the bios but is only showing up as those above. Any reason why?
Are my temps and numbers good? Can I go much higher? What is the stock voltage of a Q6600 G0? I hear people can get up to this speed on stock voltage but I had no luck at 1.2375v
3.0@1.3250v.jpg

And the temps are slowly starting to rise now. 58c
 
you're getting similar results as i am. i was running 3 GHz on my q6600 for a little while, and i just got it up to 3.2 GHz last night.

for your 3.0 GHz overclock, my temps are very similar, 38 deg C idle, 58 deg C on load. I got the voltages down to 1.3 V in the bios and was still running stable. i've also noticed, like you, the settings in the bios is not exactly what the system is going to run it at. and i think this is normal. at my 3.0 GHz overclock, setting 1.3 V in bios, it reads 1.224 V with cpu-z. check my thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1291028.

assuming u have the same SLACR model, G0 stepping, the voltage range intel specifies is 0.85 V to 1.5 V. see my thread above, i have an screenshot of the specifications for this chip. note that the thermal specification is at 71 deg C, which i believe is the max temp it was designed for.

-chris
 
im having very similar results, i got my q6600 g0 to 3.0ghz and my load temps while running small ftt's torture test on prime95 are: core 1/2/3/4 57/57/56/56 and idle 31/31/27/27
i started a post about this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1281414

and heres an image of my desktop while running prime95, cpuz and everest ultimate:


i also have a question for you though, how did you put that picture of your screenshot in that size, cause every time i post a picture on this forum, you can barely see it and then you have to click it so you can actually see the image....lol
 
*update*

After some voltage changes and messing with ram timings. I managed to turn down my cpu voltage to 1.3 and still stable with p95. Since I lowered my temps now on load I'm only 52-54c!(this might have something to do with the fact that I opened my window). I also fixed my ram timings. It was supposed to be at 4-4-4-15 @ 2.1v however it was set at 8-8-8-23 @1.85v. I upped the voltage up to 2.1 and got 5-5-5-15. I tried putting it at 4-4-4-15 @ 2.2v but it didn't like that.

Q6600@3.050conload.jpg

(I used ripway to host my files, photobucket is trash)

I plan on going higher to about 3.6 because these temps are simply amazing. I'm on air too.
 
let us know if you reach 3.6 GHz, and what voltage you used to get it. i am getting greedy and wanting to go 3.6 GHz but am scared to. i had to up my voltage to 1.4 V in the bios to get a stable 3.2 GHz, and my load temps are 62-65 deg C now when running prime95. trying to reach 3.6 GHz will require more voltage and its gonna get close to 70 deg C. what cooler are you running?

nm, i see ur sig. looks like your getting better cooling with your zerotherm nirvana.
 
Your on the right track. I'd be shocked if you hit 3.6 with that cooler though. Once you break 3.2 with Q6600's they like a lot of voltage to go higher. I run mine at 3.0 on stock 1.275v, keeps my temps around 33c idle / 45-47c load. At 3.6 my temps skyrocket to over 70c load, although I have to give it 1.48v(bios) just to get any kind of stability. IMO, the performance increase at those speeds doesn't justify the wear'n'tear on the hardware.

I'm interested in seeing your results though, so keep going! :)
 
Don't expect to hit 3.6 so easily. I'm running 52-55 load at 3.2Ghz and 1.24V (TRUE). At 3.6 I was hitting 75C, which is a bit too toasty for comfort. Also, there is no "stock" voltage for for all Q6600s, but you can check your VID with Coretemp. This will tell you what's stock for your chip. Mine for example is 1.2625V
 
Ditto the last post your VID is1.325 which fairly high I must agree you will need about 1.42-1.47 actual V-core to get theat chip stable at 3.6 and it is going to start getting hot really hot! The chip doesn't scale all that well runs really nice until sbout 3.4 then it requires some brute force to push it....
 
I've got it stable at 3.2ghz. In the bios it reads 1.5v for the setting but the actual vcore is 1.456 says cpuz. My max temps were about 65c under full load for nearly 12 hours.
3.2ghzstablefor12hours.jpg


I want to try and go for 3.5ghz. Think thats possible? What should my max temps and voltage be for this Q6600?
 
Given your current voltage and temps, you will likely hit 60 for temps at 3.3 (possibly 3.4). You VID is 1.325 which is what will likely hold you back.


 
VID is Voltage Indentifier. That is the lowest amount of electricity that YOUR cpu needs to be stable at the rated speed of 2.4. For a Q6600 G0, I think I've seem them as low as 1.2 and as high as 1.325 (which coincidently is your VID). If you look at CoreTemp, you'll see an entry for VID. This is where this value can be found. CPU-Z will show you the value of the voltage going to your CPU. This will almost never match what you have at BIOS due to vdroop. The voltage reading will vary depending on Idle & Load. Max safe voltage is 1.55.

 
Ok, I see, I just had thought that Core Temp was borked. So about that 1.55. Is that what actually shows up in cpuz? After the Vdroop? Or before it, what I set it to in the bios?
 
I'll have to defer that particular question to others. Generally, I try to stay from having to set 1.55 as my voltage in BIOS. It'll drop down to below that due to Vdroop.

I've got to put a lot of voltage in mine to hit 3.6 and be stable. For day to day activities, I generally leave mine at 3.5 with lower voltage and subsequently lower temps.

 
i'm testing my overclock currently its at 3.5 and 1.48v in bios (1.42v in windows). trying to get that lower and prime stable :)
 
Currently my Q6600 is at 3GHz vcore 1.288 and it's Prime95 stable, Prime95 temperatures 100% load is at 45-48. 3GHz is the highest I can run at this vcore. I'm just burning my CPU in for a couple of weeks now before I start pushing it.

Oh, and I know the whole CPU burn in thing is debatable, but no harm in trying.

I'm pretty disappointed with 45-48C on 100% load actually. I was hoping more like 35-40. Especially at voltage of only 1.288

I'm running on Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 so not much to change there, other than going to water cooling or other cooling options, maybe I'm going to try and find another fan and run it at 12v or something. See if that helps, or another CPU. Case is good too, Cosmos S, running 5 120mm fans.
 
For reference.. I have my Q6600 running at 3.2gHz as follows

400x8
cpu:dram = 1:1
Vcore= 1.30
VTT=1.23
MCH=1.25
ICH=default
GTL=67%

Idle temps are 37c load temps are 54c

I tested running small FFT in prime for 8 hrs with no errors. I am going to attempt to lower the VTT and Vcore to see if I can still maintain stability before I move up to 3.4gHz.
 
Back
Top