How is my OC? (w/Q9300)

Bakku

Limp Gawd
Finally, I upgraded from my 939 system and got myself a Q9300.

I've pumped it up to 3.5GHz (467x7.5) @ 1.37v and it's has being running prime95 for about 8 hours so far. the load temp is around 72C - 76C (in CoreTemp). Could I have pushed the chip for more? Should I worry about the temp?

I had tried to push the chip to 3.6GHz the day before, but I was not able to make it stable even when vcore are set to 1.4v, and it was running around 82C loaded which I thought it was too hot. What actually is the safe temp range for a Core2 Quad?

The safe range for that chip is below 100C. However, since you're already running into the 70s, I wouldn't take it any higher unless you improve your cooling. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with running a CPU any higher than 75-ish for extended load periods.

Temps are fine. You'll never see those temps under normal use.

Grats on the OC!

What board and memory are you running? My Q9300 is at 3.15 currently but I've been thinking about trying for more.

i am using the Gigabyte's GA-EP45-UD3P board and couple of OCZ platinum DDR2-800 rams.

btw, one of core failed after 9hrs of prime95. i've upped the vcore one notch higher, it's running 3.5GHz at 1.396v for another round of prime95 now, load temps around 78C-82C, still watching closely at those temps. i am thinking to lower the cpu speed to 3.4GHz if those vcore and temps proved too much for the chip to handle.

Prime95 testing is like kicking tires on a car to see if it's reliable. Do yourself a favor and stop wasting hours of priming and stress testing and just play your favorite 3D game for a little while to check your CPU's stability and you'll know in about 15-minutes or so instead of hours and hours.

Your CPU overclock is not stable unless you can put a 3D load on it in a game!

I listened to the confused people on message boards about priming for hours to check stability only to find out that my 24-hour Prime95 dual core stable 2.75GHz would crash or get kicked for punkbuster violation due to corruption within 30-minutes in Battlefield 2 back in the days. My 2.85, 2.8, 2.75 OCs were all 2D stable and completely crap out in 3D games within minutes.

Prime95 testing is like kicking tires on a car to see if it's reliable. Do yourself a favor and stop wasting hours of priming and stress testing and just play your favorite 3D game for a little while to check your CPU's stability and you'll know in about 15-minutes or so instead of hours and hours.

Your CPU overclock is not stable unless you can put a 3D load on it in a game!

I listened to the confused people on message boards about priming for hours to check stability only to find out that my 24-hour Prime95 dual core stable 2.75GHz would crash or get kicked for punkbuster violation due to corruption within 30-minutes in Battlefield 2 back in the days. My 2.85, 2.8, 2.75 OCs were all 2D stable and completely crap out in 3D games within minutes.

That isn't true at all, most games don't put a load on the CPU anywhere close to Prime, or Linpack tests

thx for chinesepiratefood mentioned about the linpack tool. I didnt know it exist.

anyway, I downloaded LinX 0.5.3 and it worked really well. it can push the CPU 8c-10c higher than when the CPU is running prime95. so the cpu failed to run completely stable at 3.5GHz and I didnt want to push the vcore higher than 1.4v. I lower the speed down to 3.4GHz + 1.36v, and it passes 10 loops of LinX using the 3000MB size. I believed I have found the stable OC for this chip, I will conclude my OC after I got home today (it'll be on prime95 for around 18hrs by then) :D

Back