How is cooler height measured?

SenorBeef

Weaksauce
Cases often give a maximum cooler height clearance. For example, the Corsair Obsidian 450D gives a cooler height max of 165mm.

Now my question is - do you compare that number directly against the listed height number that coolers give? Or is it a measurement from the socket, or the top of the CPU, or the motherboard, or what?

In practical terms, would that case (165mm) fit a hyper 212 evo (159mm)?

Are case measurements for clearance measured in the same way? So you can directly compare those numbers?

Cases often give a maximum cooler height clearance. For example, the Corsair Obsidian 450D gives a cooler height max of 165mm.

Now my question is - do you compare that number directly against the listed height number that coolers give? Or is it a measurement from the socket, or the top of the CPU, or the motherboard, or what?

In practical terms, would that case (165mm) fit a hyper 212 evo (159mm)?

As already said, cooler height is from bottom of base to top of heatpipes on cooler.
Case clearance / CPU clearance is fromt top of the CPU to the case. This is the maximum cooler height that will fit.

Also keep in mind the distance from top of RAM to case must be more than the size if fan if fan will be mounted over RAM.

Basic measurement:
8mm = motherboard backing plate to top of motherboard
8mm = top of motherboard to top of CPU
3mm = top of motherboard to bottom of RAM
3mm + RAM = top of motherboard to top of RAM
CPU clearance + 5mm = RAM + fan
CPU%20motherbord%20RAM%20meas_zpsr6fey734.png

Thanks. I found a basic image somewhere and edited it adding more and expanding to show case, RAM, etc.

Anyone who wants to use it or post it elsewhere, please feel free to. It's all about sharing knowledge. ;)

Back