How is a PDA helpful to you? ($300-350)?

Eocene

Limp Gawd
Ok so guys... what's a good pda around this price... 300-350

I have some questions...

Anyone here actually use it to take notes in school?

How is your pda helpful?

For the most part, what do you use it for?

mine does everything.... litterally... well not litterally but it does more things than i can name..

it.....

keeps all my important dates on calendars as well as it reminds me when those days are comming up

keeps all my numbers, it can also tell my phone to DIAL those numbers wirelessly via bluetooth

keeps all pwds in a locked file in excel

can read word and excel documents

can convert any unit of measurement into another unit of measurement (IE lbs to KG, it can do way more than just those though)

play Xvid movies
play mp3s
plays anything pretty much

connect to wifi hot spots and get internet (internet is a huge function)

connect to bluetooth devices (GPS, phones, headsets, other pdas, BT file transfer to desktop pcs etc)

has all my pictures so i dont have to carry them in my wallet, digital pictures always stay the same, pictures in my wallet get worn out etc

i can play games on my pda, more games than i can name, it can emulate SNES, NES, GB, etc, i can even play quake and doom on it

turn my pda into a universal remote (HPs are good at this since they have NEVO which can control almost any eletronic with an IR remote but hp licks balls, i used to have one)
1 button can turn on multiple hometheatres, its crazy, you can program anything with it

remote control my desktop from any internet hotspot via VNC, (this is actually useful if im makeing dvd backups, i usually convert them a couple times like dvd decrypt to image then vob blank then dvd shrink the image so doing this while im doing something else is useful)

you can connect a BT keyboard and mouse to your pda so you can use it as a laptop instead of bringing in a bulky laptop

pdas can fit into your shirt pocket so you take it where ever you are all the time

calculator, i use this one alot

scientific graphic calculator more powerful than a ti-85/89 i dont use this very much but i use it to show off to friends lol

alarm clock, can set as many alarms as you want dependingon software, built into WM2K3SE you can set 3 diffrent alarms

WAR drive with your pda

GPS + Maps, i have a map of calgary on my pda so JUST IN CASE i get lost i can find my way out, i never get lost in calgary though, would be useful if i go to another city or country, gps will track anywhere

BMI heart rate calculator, only to show off

bartending software, i can mix well over 30 000 drinks, ppl get jealous of this one

read pdf files via acrobat for ppc

i have a map of the starship enterprise, i know how to get to engineering.. great.. lol

i have icq, msn, aol, etc so i can IM anyone

skype for ppc, you can VOIP with any internet hotspot to anyone in the world

perodic table of contents, just in case i want to make bombs and shit

pocket stars lets connect to my gps and it can switch the view of the sky to where i am automatically, so if you are stargazing with a chic you can show off by nameing all the constelations and stuff. doesn't work if the chic already has pocket starts on her pda LOL

record audio DIRECT to mp3, you can record any time dependingon the size of your SD or CF card, you can pretty much record for days or weeks if you have a large CF card 4GB?

i have vivo sketch artist so instead of drawing out a persons face you can do it on the PDA!!! great if you need a sketch of a bad guy

i can stream mp3s off my desktop computer to my home theatre via PPC + wifi, pretty neat,

dictionary. selfexplanitory

thesaurus same as above, dictionary and thesaurus is actually the same program, ultra quick search, also a spell checker

universal translator (THATS RIGHT!) i can say a phrase in english and it can translate it to either german, french or whatever the hell you want as long as you have the lang pack!, it has TONS of predefined phrases so in case your stuck somewhere you can just get your PDA to speak for you lol. just like on startrek!

i have more than 50 games i dont even want to name them all im way too lazy to type that much

use your PDA as a flash light, if you crank the brightness and have a white background it works!

use your pda as a mirror, have a black background, you can seee yourself, yay... or find a nearby window

SMS client, you can download the SMS text messages from your phone and reply thru the pda instead of typeing messages on your phone, its actually faster to do it on the pda and tell your phone to send it wirelessly thru bluetooth, you dont even need to take out your phone ever really..

i have an axim X30 624MHz BT and WLAN, i recommend the X50v now that its out, you cannot get a better pda for the price, dell always has discounts too making it even cheaper, i also recommend an aluminum case off ebay if you are going to get any pda, it will protect your unit for only $20-30 dollars.

forgot a couple

i can calculate resistor color codes either with numbers or colors, its bi directional

i can get the weather on my pda for the next week or how ever far in the future they predict

i can download pictures ring tones and msgs off my phone via bluetooth

i can UPLOAD pictures ring tones etc to myphone as well,

i can download pictures off camera via the SD slot and upload it wirelessly to desktop or laptop

klowngoblin, you said something about using your PDA as an IR remote. What kind of software do you use?

klowngoblin said:
forgot a couple

i can calculate resistor color codes either with numbers or colors, its bi directional

i can get the weather on my pda for the next week or how ever far in the future they predict

i can download pictures ring tones and msgs off my phone via bluetooth

i can UPLOAD pictures ring tones etc to myphone as well,

i can download pictures off camera via the SD slot and upload it wirelessly to desktop or laptop

Lucky guy. I got a BT Phone from Sprint so that I could organize contacts etc.. But Sprint cripled the Bluetooth. The only thing it will do is DUN and a Headset. And Sprint says DUN is against its user agreement.

Thats good info thanks... lol but I'm still wondering if anyone uses to take notes daily?

I was looking at this and I will probably use it:

http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php

It supports:

Export events to iCal, vCal or Palm
Import from iCal, vCal or Palm

I wonder if you can put diff. categories .. and then submit this info into the calendar seperatly...

I use mine for notes everyday at work. I find that its much more convenient to carry it around than a full pad of paper and pens. It's also good for that quick game of solitaire in the middle of a boring meeting. I currently use Pocket Informant for all of my syncing, and note taking and have had quite a nice experience with it. All in all, its quite a convenient little tool to have around.

I use mine for note taking at work sometimes, but it's kind of a pain. It's just not that easy to take notes with a PDA. Most of the time I will just bring a pen and paper in the meetings with me, because it's quicker to take notes with. I do use my PDA for a lot though. I have all of my contacts in it, plus all of my appointments with reminders. I also use Pocket Informant. I use it as a universal remote for every TV in my house, including all my DVD players and receivers. I have an iPaq that comes with Nevo which is the best universal remote software. If you don't get a PDA with CGIR(consumer grade infrared) don't bother trying to use it as a remote because your range is terrible. AFAIK, the iPaq's are the only one that comes with CGIR.

I love my PDA, and couldn't live without it. But IMO it kind of sucks for note taking.

Little Grabbi said:
klowngoblin, you said something about using your PDA as an IR remote. What kind of software do you use?

the first pocket pc i had was a ipaq 2210, it had a built in program/HW called nevo, it was ALREADY pre programed with almost every electronic you could think of, i fired it up, told the pda i had a panasonic VCR, TV and DVD player, it turned them all on at the same time, i was like whoa... you could also get into the menues and stuff for the TV.

as for 3rd part stuff you can get this

http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/remote.html

2_hotty said:
I love my PDA, and couldn't live without it. But IMO it kind of sucks for note taking.

you can use a keyboard and mouse via bluetooth for your pda and have it just like a laptop

klowngoblin said:
mine does everything.... litterally... well not litterally but it does more things than i can name..

it.....

keeps all my important dates on calendars as well as it reminds me when those days are comming up

keeps all my numbers, it can also tell my phone to DIAL those numbers wirelessly via bluetooth

keeps all pwds in a locked file in excel

can read word and excel documents

can convert any unit of measurement into another unit of measurement (IE lbs to KG, it can do way more than just those though)

play Xvid movies
play mp3s
plays anything pretty much

connect to wifi hot spots and get internet (internet is a huge function)

connect to bluetooth devices (GPS, phones, headsets, other pdas, BT file transfer to desktop pcs etc)

has all my pictures so i dont have to carry them in my wallet, digital pictures always stay the same, pictures in my wallet get worn out etc

i can play games on my pda, more games than i can name, it can emulate SNES, NES, GB, etc, i can even play quake and doom on it

turn my pda into a universal remote (HPs are good at this since they have NEVO which can control almost any eletronic with an IR remote but hp licks balls, i used to have one)
1 button can turn on multiple hometheatres, its crazy, you can program anything with it

remote control my desktop from any internet hotspot via VNC, (this is actually useful if im makeing dvd backups, i usually convert them a couple times like dvd decrypt to image then vob blank then dvd shrink the image so doing this while im doing something else is useful)

you can connect a BT keyboard and mouse to your pda so you can use it as a laptop instead of bringing in a bulky laptop

pdas can fit into your shirt pocket so you take it where ever you are all the time

calculator, i use this one alot

scientific graphic calculator more powerful than a ti-85/89 i dont use this very much but i use it to show off to friends lol

alarm clock, can set as many alarms as you want dependingon software, built into WM2K3SE you can set 3 diffrent alarms

WAR drive with your pda

GPS + Maps, i have a map of calgary on my pda so JUST IN CASE i get lost i can find my way out, i never get lost in calgary though, would be useful if i go to another city or country, gps will track anywhere

BMI heart rate calculator, only to show off

bartending software, i can mix well over 30 000 drinks, ppl get jealous of this one

read pdf files via acrobat for ppc

i have a map of the starship enterprise, i know how to get to engineering.. great.. lol

i have icq, msn, aol, etc so i can IM anyone

skype for ppc, you can VOIP with any internet hotspot to anyone in the world

perodic table of contents, just in case i want to make bombs and shit

pocket stars lets connect to my gps and it can switch the view of the sky to where i am automatically, so if you are stargazing with a chic you can show off by nameing all the constelations and stuff. doesn't work if the chic already has pocket starts on her pda LOL

record audio DIRECT to mp3, you can record any time dependingon the size of your SD or CF card, you can pretty much record for days or weeks if you have a large CF card 4GB?

i have vivo sketch artist so instead of drawing out a persons face you can do it on the PDA!!! great if you need a sketch of a bad guy

i can stream mp3s off my desktop computer to my home theatre via PPC + wifi, pretty neat,

dictionary. selfexplanitory

thesaurus same as above, dictionary and thesaurus is actually the same program, ultra quick search, also a spell checker

universal translator (THATS RIGHT!) i can say a phrase in english and it can translate it to either german, french or whatever the hell you want as long as you have the lang pack!, it has TONS of predefined phrases so in case your stuck somewhere you can just get your PDA to speak for you lol. just like on startrek!

i have more than 50 games i dont even want to name them all im way too lazy to type that much

use your PDA as a flash light, if you crank the brightness and have a white background it works!

use your pda as a mirror, have a black background, you can seee yourself, yay... or find a nearby window

SMS client, you can download the SMS text messages from your phone and reply thru the pda instead of typeing messages on your phone, its actually faster to do it on the pda and tell your phone to send it wirelessly thru bluetooth, you dont even need to take out your phone ever really..

i have an axim X30 624MHz BT and WLAN, i recommend the X50v now that its out, you cannot get a better pda for the price, dell always has discounts too making it even cheaper, i also recommend an aluminum case off ebay if you are going to get any pda, it will protect your unit for only $20-30 dollars.
he said 300-350 bucks.... :D

I prefer my Nextel Blackberry 7520 to a PDA, but I don't see how you could take notes efficiently on it or any PDA device.

yeah but my pda was only $400CDN thats only $325USD from dell, the software was.. well.. lets say i got a REALLY good price... REALLY REALLY good..

atlwriter said:
I prefer my Nextel Blackberry 7520 to a PDA, but I don't see how you could take notes efficiently on it or any PDA device.

its called a folding bluetooth keyboard and mouse. people can type 80WPM on those bluetooth keyboards, 60 WPM AVG

your blackberry is still a pda LOL, its actually more of a pda than a pocket pc since you are able to connect to a microsoft exchange server with it, something a pda cant do.

PDA = Personal Digital Assistant

PPC's can do more multi media related things than Work related therefore makeing it more of a Digital assistant.

klowngoblin said:
its called a folding bluetooth keyboard and mouse. people can type 80WPM on those bluetooth keyboards, 60 WPM AVG

your blackberry is still a pda LOL, its actually more of a pda than a pocket pc since you are able to connect to a microsoft exchange server with it, something a pda cant do.

PDA = Personal Digital Assistant

PPC's can do more multi media related things than Work related therefore makeing it more of a Digital assistant.
Whipping out a keyboard and mouse is not the same as taking notes directly on a PDA. Unless you're a jedi master with that little stylus, it's gonna be very tough to take meaningful notes in class or anywhere with a PDA. Even we double-thumb Blackberry typists can't churn out pages of notes on our devices. Try it and prove me wrong.

Thanks for defining PDA. I love it when smart guys like you show us how dumb we really are. :p :rolleyes:

I know I can use mouse and keyboard with my PDA, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having something that portable. I like my PDA because it fits in my pocket. I would have to carry around a foldable keyboard in another pocket, and a mouse in yet another. Hell, it would be easier to just bring my laptop into meetings at that point.

Again, I love my PDA, it just sucks for note taking. Not to mention that you have to factor in the price of a BT keyboard and mouse now, if that's going to be the solution you go with.

Back