How is 12 ms for gaming?

Whipsmack

Gawd
I really really want accurate and beautiful color representation and I hear monitors with faster response times just aren't capable of that. So at what point can I get wonderful color but still fast enough to game without too much ghosting?

Thanks!

I think the CRT is good choice, if you wanna go with LCD, then I think under 8ms. Also depand on which game you play, if it's a athletics game, then I think prolly CRT will bring you the fastest response since sometime even 8ms delay will cause you a lose specially in CS game. If not that strict, then I think normally a 8ms even 12ms could also have much fun. :)

IL-2 runs great on my 8ms display. but. NO lcd on the planet will handle one specific situation in that game. flying at 300 feet and looking 90 degrees to either side at the ground.

its just not...uber smooth like you'd get on a fast CRT.

and i'd think RPG's would do perfect even on old 25ms displays.

Whipsmack said:
I really really want accurate and beautiful color representation and I hear monitors with faster response times just aren't capable of that. So at what point can I get wonderful color but still fast enough to game without too much ghosting?

Thanks!

I wasn't aware that there was a correlation between contrast ratio and response time.

I am a hardcore gamer...i have 2405 which has 12ms...and i ONLY play FPS games...first person shooting...hardcore action, etc...NOT some lame ass RPG games :rolleyes:

and honestly this minitor is 100000000 times better then my 17" crt in every way

iJeff said:
I wasn't aware that there was a correlation between contrast ratio and response time.

There isn't a specific correlation. It's simply that the faster panels are sometimes made using different technologies. Some of the fastest are only 6bit colorwise meaning they have to dither some of the colors to produce the 16.2 million colors common on a an 8bit panel. Its a trade off, hey we got this fast panel but we had to do it this way. I just got a 940BF from NCIX in the mail Friday. Probably one of the best panels I've seen color and speed wise. As for color I dont know if it's 6bit or 8bit but if its 6 its doing a halla good job. My Girlfriend hoked up the spyder and the color uniformity was great and the colors went head to head with the moniotrs she has to edit pics and movies. It's advertised on the box as being 4ms, had a sticker on it that said 2 ms( probably grey to grey at best ) and was able to play any of the X3 Reunion fight scenario with 40+ ships all shooting 8 laser cannons SUUUUUUUPER smoothly.

Everyone is different...... I bought a 2005fpw because most people said there was no ghosting, well after playing dod:s, half life 2, and trackmania, I could easily notice ghosting :(
so I returned it and I'm back on my 19" crt :D

james111 said:
Everyone is different...... I bought a 2005fpw because most people said there was no ghosting, well after playing dod:s, half life 2, and trackmania, I could easily notice ghosting :(
so I returned it and I'm back on my 19" crt :D

That's funny, I play dod:s and cs:s and notice almost no ghosting. Did you use dvi?

Unfortunately the response rate spec has been too bastardized to use properly anymore. I like Toms' hardware monitor reviews because they give you the response time over the whole color spectrum graphed out. Not "gray to gray" or anything like that. Whats more is they are lofty anyways. The fact that there are 2ms and 3ms LCDs out there is pretty appalling. What a sad joke.

Stick with something you've seen in person, or get something with a good return policy and read a lot of reviews. Sometimes whats more important is how flat the response rate is at a place like Tom's. Overdrive and so on may have good lows for the marketing department, to cut in half on top of it :rolleyes: , but be more erratic in practice.

i have a 2405FPW and there really is no ghosting on any kind of games. Its an awesome monitor but its always up to you what you buy.

Back