• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How important is Mirror Lockup?

elchorizo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
234
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the D50 and Rebel XT. However, I'm posting in a seperate thread (than the comparison thead) because my question really is about a feature one has and the other doesn't. I've held both and prefer the feel of the D50 but I'm concerned about the lack of Mirror Lockup on it.

I plan to use the camera to learn about SLR photograpy and will primarily shoot everyday stuff like family and friends. However, I also want to shoot landscapes and do some night photography. I'm more concerened with the image quality of the landscape and night photography stuff so the lack of a Mirror Lockup seems troubling. Since the night photography involves slow shutter speeds will the lack of a Mirror Lockup be a problem? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Both cameras seem to have low noise at high ISOs so I'm not too worried about that.

-Marshall
 
dude im on the same boat got the d50 vs rebel xt below, the D50 does have mirror lock up but i think is limited, just so u can clean sensor. Rebel XT has it fully functional, from what I understand if u lock the mirror u can stabilize immage, exp u got a tripod n u doing 30sec exposures so u can get a good shot, helps prevent some camera vibration due to movement.
At moment there's a few things aiming me towards the XT
1) illuminated 2nd screen, the nikon D50 lacks that
2) Black/White setting on dial D50 lacks b/w pics.
3) propietary file for white balance, means u need special software to manipulate
4) 30 Demon kit software from nikon, canon offers full software would be bad to pony up $100 for software.
5) due to larger sensor XT can capture more details on a immage, I have visited some sites, all this camera needs is a nice lens.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon350D/page4.shtml
The nikon D50 is still a sweet camera might change my mind, still doing a lotta research, is a big investment so u wanna do it right.
 
Depends on how heavy a zoom lense you plan on shooting with. The more the zoom or, on time exposure shot in the dark. What the mirror lock does is lock the mirror up first, then opens the shutter afterwards. It is something that kills the vibration form the mirror slapping. But with Vibration Resistant lenses it isnt important. I have never noticed much diffrence between locking or, leaving it in standard shoot mode. The D50 does have a mirror lock but it is only used for cleaning the sensor.
 
dude im on the same boat got the d50 vs rebel xt below, the D50 does have mirror lock up but i think is limited, just so u can clean sensor. Rebel XT has it fully functional, from what I understand if u lock the mirror u can stabilize immage, exp u got a tripod n u doing 30sec exposures so u can get a good shot, helps prevent some camera vibration due to movement.
At moment there's a few things aiming me towards the XT
1) illuminated 2nd screen, the nikon D50 lacks that
2) Black/White setting on dial D50 lacks b/w pics.
3) propietary file for white balance, means u need special software to manipulate
4) 30 Demon kit software from nikon, canon offers full software would be bad to pony up $100 for software.
5) due to larger sensor XT can capture more details on a immage, I have visited some sites, all this camera needs is a nice lens.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon350D/page4.shtml
The nikon D50 is still a sweet camera might change my mind, still doing a lotta research, is a big investment so u wanna do it right.

Yeah, I've read your thread and it was very helpful. But there wasn't anything really about the lockup issue which was the one thing that was bothering me about the D50. I also agree with each item you've listed. To be truthful I'd rather get the XT but the D50 just feels so much better in my hand. Also, the D50 is so much cheaper, $650 with the kit lens at Newegg right now! However, since I want to experament a lot with night photography I'm wondering how much weight I should put on the lockup issue.


Depends on how heavy a zoom lense you plan on shooting with. The more the zoom or, on time exposure shot in the dark.

Joves, I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here. Are you saying that Mirror Lockup is only really important when using a long zoom? So if I shot at say <100mm on my night shots (say 1/2 second and longer exposures) would It be a factor?

Thanks,
-Marshall
 
Then it really cost $750 when u buy the nikon software. I would pony up some $$ for the 2 glass set, theres some barrel distotion on the nikon glass. U do get a lotta shot 2000shots vs 400, but then again bigger sensor means more detail, to me detail is a big thing.
heres 2 help full sites, hope they help.
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/nikon-d50/d50-gen.php <---nikon D50
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-rebelxt/rebelxt-gen.php <----- rebel XT

according to reviews n research nikon has a better flash, the canon has better AF(auto focus)
To be honest thing that attracts me to the XT most is that it has more comfortable eye cup, and this actually is nice for my glasses, I looked in the D50 doesen't feel the same, makes big difference if u use glasses. Don't know if the store model was not like its suppose to be, they did have a D70s and the eye cup was nice.
 
Or long exposeure shots. But there is a way around it in long exposure shots. What I used to do with film cameras w/o mirror lock up, was to take a black card and, place it in front of the lense. Then pull it away do the exposure and, repeat. I used to do this shooting through a telescope afocally. Worked pretty well.
When you are shooting through a long lenght lense w/o VR the mirror slap can make a diffrence. Granted the lack of mirror lock is a feature I dont like but, I like my D50. My next camera is going to be a D200 anyhow and, the D50 will be my abuse camera.

 
Mirror slap is only a problem when the shutter speed is between 1/4 and 1/60 sec, and at longer focal lengths.
 
The D50 nor the D70 have mirror-lockup.

They have an option in the menu to lock the mirror which is what confuses people sometimes, but this is ONLY for cleaning the sensor. It can not be used in shooting pictures.
 
Don't forget, when you buy into SLR technology, you are commiting yourself to that company and its lens system. The lens' are where the real money is spent, and are the things that will make or break any picture you take.
 
misan-thrope said:
Don't forget, when you buy into SLR technology, you are commiting yourself to that company and its lens system. The lens' are where the real money is spent, and are the things that will make or break any picture you take.

This is a very important point. Also a lens will be with you through MANY camera bodies.
 
i personally don't find mirror lockup to be terribly important for anything other than cleaning the sensor. i don't see myself using mirror lockup to counter-act the mirror slap... i'm happy enough with a good tripod and a remote shutter.

go with the brand that has the features and lenses you want for the aforementioned reasons, lenses will be with you for a long time.
 
Just based on your comments, getting the D50 should be a no-brainer decision.

Forget the nitty-gritty specs, forget the f@nb0i debates, forget the lens systems (unless you have a significant amount invested in one already)...a camera is a tool that you will use for hundreds (or thousands) of hours...would you ever buy a tool that wasn't comfortable to use?

I based my decision on the same factor. I picked up and held both the D50 and the XT...the D50 was miles ahead in comfort, so I bought it.

Canon and Nikon both have very good lens lineups, with a lot of similarities. I find that Nikon has a little more value in their lens lineup, but Canon isn't very far behind. Both have HUGE used lens markets so you can definitely pick up some good glass secondhand.
 
m1abram said:
Yep and if you are lucky to have a "recall" battery, chances are you get a free upgrade to a better battery. I know I did.

I bought a D50 back in December and it came with the newer ENL3a battery; I don't believe Nikon has the normal ENL3 on the market anymore, unless you find some old stock somewhere.

Battery life is fantastic; there is no way I could use up the battery in one day.
 
p0tempkin said:
I bought a D50 back in December and it came with the newer ENL3a battery; I don't believe Nikon has the normal ENL3 on the market anymore, unless you find some old stock somewhere.

Battery life is fantastic; there is no way I could use up the battery in one day.
Yeah I got like 500 shots out of the battery, well actually more. I did alot of revieing and, deletion. That and, the usual browsing the menu and, playing with shit. I kept wondering when it would need a charge. Also Batteries+ has an off brand battery for fairly cheap so, far it has performed as well.
 
Mirror lock up is very useful and priceless when you need it and dont have it. On the flip side its a waste if you never need it.

But if your looking to buy a DSLR dont buy a camera body based on the features that is the stupidest thing you can do when investing into an SLR system. Any real photographer worth his salt knows that a single camera body should not make your call for what camera you buy.

I bought the 300D for the camera body and got lucky why I need the fastest lenses i can get my hands on and Nikon doesnt have them. for example the 85mm F1.2L(Nikons 85mm is F1.4) and the 50mm F1.0L. (Nikon's 50mm is F1.4). Now if I would have bough Nikons camera I would have had to backtrack. On the other hand if you need better metering on camera for flash photography Nikon has a huge advantage when it comes to not blowing highlighs(huge for wedding if you use your flash in auto mode).

So maybe you should figure uot what type of of photography you want to do before buying to much.
 
Back
Top