How important is it to adhere to the "support list" on Shuttle XPCs?

gamz247

Gawd
I have 2x512MB of Kingston HyperX PC2700 memory that I'm trying to put into a Shuttle SB61G2 XPC. According to the Shuttle website, this particular size, speed and brand of memory is not supported by the SB61G2. My processor, a P4 2.8C, is on its support list. Since I haven't been able to get into the BIOS more than 3 times out of many restart attempts, it's possible that it really does matter. My attempt at using my Mushkin Level II PC3500 from my other system also failed (it's not on the support list either, though).

I did notice, though, that there was a lot of room for the memory to move around in the DIMM slot (compared to my A7N8X Deluxe), so maybe there wasn't good contact when I was trying to boot up.

Anyone out there using a Shuttle XPC with components that aren't on its corresponding support list?

Is this something I should look into RMA-ing the XPC for, or perhaps actually buy components that it does support? Thanks.

Why would you even consider running PC2700 memory with a P4 2.8C? It may not work either, since they do have compatibility problems with some memory. But you really should be running PC3200 or higher with that proc.

It's what I had lying around. Probably should've gone with a 2.8B but after all the crap I had to go thru to finally get the 2.8C, it'd be kinda weird for me to turn around and return it. I was figuring I could run the memory divider at 4:5 or something.

I can always sell the PC2700 to my friend's brother, since he's "building" a new computer right now as well, and then get some PC3200 for it. No guarantee that what I get that time will work either, given past experience.

Back