How important is having a higher OC gpu

Can you explain why?

Btw it says "The new fan frames allow air to pass around it, compared to the previous NZXT FN fan version with the standard frame"

And the black things that hold the drives are removable if that helps

Here's what I'd do...
2015-06-13_0932.png

It also looks like your case has spots for two fans in the top. Put two exhaust fans up there if you don't have them already.

Put all the fans on mobo fan headers so you can control them and keep them at a low noise level. Go for low noise fans all around. You won't need them running terribly fast. You just want good airflow moving over your video cards.

The downside is that any time you upgrade you usually have to get new blocks (or at least new mounting brackets) as CPU and GPU manufacturers keep changing the placement of the mounting holes or shape/location of the chips. Full GPU blocks are even more troublesome as they fit only one type of card.

I ran watercooling for years but about 2 years ago went to back to air cooling with a massive Phanteks CPU cooler and ASUS and later Gigabyte GPUs. There wasn't much difference in noise levels on the desktop (where noise is most noticeable) and the load noise isn't that bad either. GPUs these days are actually pretty quiet as long as you have a non-reference cooler.

I do really like watercooling but I feel it has to be built well from ground up: you need a case where you can fit big radiators, a reservoir and a pump. It can get pretty expensive.

Just depends on what you like to spend money on.

If I upgrade my GPUs about every other year or so, what's another three hundred dollars or so?

I sell the older cards and buy new blocks.

The remainder of the watercooling system remains in place.
A new block adds about 110 to 150 dollars to the cost of a new GPU and generally is exactly what I want, built better and cheaper that the AIB partner water AIO systems. Plus I get to do it.:D

By top, you mean on top of the mobo?

I'm not sure that cage is removable? The screws are tiny for it where as the middle cage was advertised as removable and had normal screws

I found this
Cooling Options

The Phantom 240 will take CPU heat-sinks up to 158mm in height, but as we all know that's not where the action's at these days. What we all want to know is does it have native water support? Well, although NZXT are a bit coy about confirming the support offered we can confirm that there's a 30mm gap between the case roof and the motherboard tray edge.

As we know there can be a bit of leeway in the "roof to motherboard gap". To a greater extent this depends upon the layout of your motherboard and how tall the RAM is that you are using. In the example below we can see that we are in fact able to get a 35mm thick XSPC RS240 radiator into the roof space without it fouling the motherboard components. If we were you though, we'd stick to those 30mm and under just to be safe.

Fortunately there are many 240mm AIO units on the market that will fit into this 30mm space, although sadly none made by NZXT themselves. Rather coincidentally though both the Kraken X40 and the Kraken X60 come in at just 25mm thick so should fit up here no problem. Ding dong, a case with native 280mm AIO cooling in the roof.

With everything in place we think the Phantom 240 looks rather well proportioned. The removable HDD bay ensuring that should you wish to, long GPUs can be accommodated. It's regrettable that the front of the case isn't easily adapted to offer native water support as it would have been nice to have been able to fit an AIO in the roof and another in the front offering support for NZXTs new Kraken G10 GPU bracket. Still, for £50 we can't have everything can we?

Can you explain why?

Btw it says "The new fan frames allow air to pass around it, compared to the previous NZXT FN fan version with the standard frame"

And the black things that hold the drives are removable if that helps

It will still restrict the airflow.. you need a really RPM fan to be able to pass some airflow through the HDDCage... with Reference models you need to deliver as much as the card its pulling through the blower.. if not, then you create a empty spot around the GPU making it work hotter.. with aftermarket card its even harder as you need to add even more fans to mitigate all the heat that are being expelled inside the case by the card (which its a lot), and that mean expel the hot air as fast as possible and refill the case with fresh air with a constant airflow.. I would take all the Magoo's recommendations...

By top, you mean on top of the mobo?

I'm not sure that cage is removable? The screws are tiny for it where as the middle cage was advertised as removable and had normal screws

I found this

your case support 2x 120mm or 2x140mm fans in the top of the case...

your case support 2x 120mm or 2x140mm fans in the top of the case...

So 2 fans on top, 1 above my current intake, and if i can removed the hdd cage. And im good?

Any fans in particular that are good?

So 2 fans on top, 1 above my current intake, and if i can removed the hdd cage. And im good?

Any fans in particular that are good?

Personally I like Noctua NF-P12 or NF-P14.. and Cooler Master JetFlo 120... Arctic F12 or F14 are also good choices.. all depend on how much you want to spend on fans and the quality or noise/performance you are looking for.. also be sure to make a good cable management and see if you can put a fan in the bottom of the case.. those help a lot the GPUs..

Last edited:
JNmIhvR.jpg

This is what I was thinking

For the cage I'm not sure how to screw it, it might be underneath the case

Just move the fan up from behind the cage and leave the cage as is. That should be decent enough.

You need another 120mm fan anyway - no way in hell that single 120mm will be able to provide good enough airflow for 300W gpu at reasonable rpm speed.

You need another 120mm fan anyway - no way in hell that single 120mm will be able to provide good enough airflow for 300W gpu at reasonable rpm speed.

specially if he is planing to go with the SLI route..

Where do I need another 1? (How many do I need in total, I'm ordering them in an hour)

Also figured out I have to remove the rivets to remove that hdd, shouldn't be too hard

Where do I need another 1? (How many do I need in total, I'm ordering them in an hour)

Also figured out I have to remove the rivets to remove that hdd, shouldn't be too hard

if its affordable for you.. I would order 4x Fans.. and remove the included intake fan to be moved to the bottom of the case.. and set 2x jetflo in front and 2x jetflo in top.. so you will be adding equal amount of intake air and exhaust which its the best configuration..

Yeah that's fine. $80
The intake fan doesn't seem to turn on, so I'm going to check that first and might have to replace it.

NXZT offers a side panel for your case that allows for installation of two side fans. Might be a good thing to look at if your bottom drive cage can't be remove without possibly damaging the case. It looks to me like it might be spot welded in. Screws or pop rivets would be no problem.

Oh btw since you have a Galax. Is it true the Galax hof cards are the best at Overclocking?
They're handpicked but more importantly their customer service is 2nd to none in the PC component realm. My current thoughts are that I'll never buy another card other than a HOF.

Got 4 jetflo 120fans at $10.29 each

Much cheapier than expected, hopefully theyre not too loud

Aha turns out the guy who put my pc together never plugged that intake fan, so ive been killing my pc for months.

so i have 2 front fans
2 top
1 bottom/next to psu
1 exhaust
and a evga 750 g2 psu if that counts

The front 2 are intake

What should the top 2 and botom be?

Last edited:
Back