How important is Anti-static bag?

xbonez

Limp Gawd
I need to ship an EVGA 8800GS. I don't have any anti-static bags and no local store carries them. I couldn't locate any local computer repair shop either.

How important is it that I use an anti-static bag? Would it be very bad to wrap the 8800GS directly in bubble wrap?

Almost any local shipper like Pakmail, the UPS Store, Kinkos, etc...will sell anti-static bubble wrap. There's a chance sending it in normal wrap will be just fine, but there's also a chance it won't. Not using the right materials can end up frying the card, and then you have to deal with refunds and what not. I would really recommend finding something.

i would definitely find some. say for example you sale it to someone who does not (somehow) install correctly, they could say it was damaged from not being in a bag.

Hmm...i don't know why it didn't strike me to check the local USPS store. They might have it.

In the future you might want to save the packaging from some of your hardware.
I always save my mobo, ram, and video card boxes as well as the anti-static bags from hard drives in case of RMA or selling the old parts.

Heya, Xbonez! Where do you live at, exactly? Perhaps I could point you in the right direction toward obtaining such a bag for free. If need be, I can mail you one.

(I'm the buyer of the 8800GS)

XFX recommends to use a brown paper bag if you don't have an anti-static bag handy. Maybe you should use that.

XFX recommends to use a brown paper bag if you don't have an anti-static bag handy. Maybe you should use that.

ive done it with the last 4 or 5 items ive sent out (no bubble wrap, no use for buying in bulk, and no computer shops locally want to give it away). not one issue came from it. all the items worked as they should.

ive done it with the last 4 or 5 items ive sent out (no bubble wrap, no use for buying in bulk, and no computer shops locally want to give it away). not one issue came from it. all the items worked as they should.

ESD damage isn't always apparent right away. some people don't recognize it at all - but most memory failures and early cpu deaths (outside of overclock) are a direct result of ESD.

ESD is the leading cause of hardware failure in electronics from what I was told in college. So yes antistatic bags for electronics are just as important as using padding in shipping them. All formal education regarding electronics goes over the need for it so it must be pretty darn important. :)

Microscopic pictures of what you do to electronics from ESD is pretty amazing stuff TBH. It melts the surface of the metallic structures in small amounts.

Tv's and almost every electronic device are shipped in white anti static foam bags Most shipping places sell pink anti static bubble wrap

Back