How important do you think the 2600k's extra 2MB cache be over the 2500K?

It seems it would not though even with other i7s:
Benchmarks: i7 Overclock/HT Performance Scaling
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/904301-benchmarks-i7-overclock-ht-performance-scaling.html

Yeah, I meant for the encoding part - should have trimmed my quote to make it clear. I was leaning towards the 2600K, but the more I think about it the more I lean back to the 2500K instead. How does HT affect overclocking/heat? I remember it being an issue when i7 first came out - still a factor now?

Yeah, I meant for the encoding part - should have trimmed my quote to make it clear. I was leaning towards the 2600K, but the more I think about it the more I lean back to the 2500K instead. How does HT affect overclocking/heat? I remember it being an issue when i7 first came out - still a factor now?

It was an issue originally because the chips themselves were already hot. I can run P95 right now at 4.2GHz and my load temps will hover around mid 50s with HT enabled. I haven't bothered to turn it off. It seems many reaching high clocks don't bother turning it off either unless they care to go for even higher clocks. The 2600K I believe will make a difference over the 2500K due to HT in encoding/rendering.

It was an issue originally because the chips themselves were already hot. I can run P95 right now at 4.2GHz and my load temps will hover around mid 50s with HT enabled. I haven't bothered to turn it off. It seems many reaching high clocks don't bother turning it off either unless they care to go for even higher clocks. The 2600K I believe will make a difference over the 2500K due to HT in encoding/rendering.

So is 4.2 as high as you can push the chip? Have you tried any higher?

Last edited:
So is 4.2 as high as you can push the chip? Have you tried any higher?

Max I'ved been so far = 4.7GHz @ 1.32v (33-36 idle and a load of 55-60 depending on the core). I dare not push it further until I get solid safe numbers on voltages.

47ghzcinebench.jpg

Seems like the Sandy Bridge MBs cost a shitload of money. Looks like I won't be able to get the MB for like $150?

Seems like the Sandy Bridge MBs cost a shitload of money. Looks like I won't be able to get the MB for like $150?
I've seen a few in the $80-$120 range already using price searches. A Gigabyte H67 (includes video connectors) mATX board is the cheapest so far at around $80.

I heard they cost like $800 and they won't even sell you one unless you are wearing a tuxedo

Looks like the 2500K and 2600K are neck and neck in games. Has anyone seen a site doing overclocking comparisons between the two? All the ones I've looked at just overclocked the 2600K.

I've seen a few in the $80-$120 range already using price searches. A Gigabyte H67 (includes video connectors) mATX board is the cheapest so far at around $80.

According to Anandtech at least, you do not want a H67 based board if you want to OC -- if I'm reading their review / info properly, the H67s will not allow OCing at all, but will make use of the onboard video output. What you want is a P67 board, which will allow OCing but will not have onboard video output.

Very good thread... I'm in the same dilemma, deciding between the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K and searched the forms first to see if there was a similar thread before posting a new one... :D

There are a few differences between the Core i7 2600K and Core i5 2500K. In order I would say the i7 has Hyperthreading, 2MB larger L3 Cache, and 100Mhz higher clock frequency and $101price premium.

1293839528CCXLXmKatJ_1_30_l.jpg

According to almost every review out there BOTH the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K can easily be overclocked to 4.4~4.6 Ghz with the stock Intel air cooler. If you add a decent Aftermarket Air or Liquid cooler setup you can easily break the 5+Ghz mark. Bottom line is both the processors have the same overclock potential.

Now the real question is the $101 price premium worth the differences? If so in which applications and daily usage will we actually see the benefits that the i7 2600K has over the i5 2500K and to what extent (as both of them have the same overclocking capability)?

Check out the Overclocking comparison here

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
According to almost every review out there BOTH the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K can easily be overclocked to 4.4~4.6 Ghz with the stock Intel air cooler. If you add a decent Aftermarket Air or Liquid cooler setup you can easily break the 5+Ghz mark.

from what i've seen most chips struggle above 4.8Ghz. not to say that it can't be done, but it requires a large increase in voltage to do it. since these chips are so new, time will tell just how reliable they are at high voltages.

Now the real question is the $101 price premium worth the differences? If so in which applications and daily usage will we actually see the benefits that the i7 2600K has over the i5 2500K and to what extent (as both of them have the same overclocking capability)?

for playing games and browsing [H], the i5-2500K is perfect.

Back