How I cut 30c off my load temp

novadaemon

Gawd
Right now I've got my 1055t @ 3.5ghz stock Vcore under a Zalman 9700 LED cooler.

Using IBT 20 passes @ Very High settings under full load I noticed that my temps were hitting 67c.

I made sure the heatsink was mounted properly, but something wasn't right. In games it never breaks 40c so I though IBT was just pushing it hard.

I got the idea to lay my computer down on its side to see if gravity would help with cooling and it did...

load temps never went above 37c. I got 3.5ghz stock vcore @ 37c load on a Zalman 9700.

My issue is that obviously the cooler is working because it doesn't break 40c in games and is mounted properly, but at the same time it's not working properly if it gets to 67c with the computer standing up and 37c on its side.

Has anyone else tried this out?

Last edited:
I get maybe 3-5 degrees on my computer when it's on its side with a Tuniq Tower. 30 degree seems insane though - it sounds very much like your heatsink isn't secured properly and is hanging loose.

i would say then it isnt fastened tight enough if sitting up right so it isnt making good contact.

I get maybe 3-5 degrees on my computer when it's on its side with a Tuniq Tower. 30 degree seems insane though - it sounds very much like your heatsink isn't secured properly and is hanging loose.

Or the heatsink mounting bracket is loose.

Very strange.

this is why i love my silverstone RV02 case. no heat soakage since everything is sideways!

this is why i love my silverstone RV02 case. no heat soakage since everything is sideways!

I think you misunderstand...your heatsink in that case is still hanging off perpendicular to the floor.

I think you misunderstand...your heatsink in that case is still hanging off perpendicular to the floor.

yes, that's true, but i was also referring to the graphics card and heat rising up.

heatpipes do work more efficiently when in a normal gravity induced state.
but I can't see a 20+ C differences TBH.

check the mounting again. maybe one of the heatpipes failed somehow?

Which has all of what to do with what's being discussed :p?

Heat from graphics cards rises, which means it's going to ht the CPU heatsink, which in turn means that you need to also dissipate that heat from the CPU heatsink in addition to the heat the CPU generates. It is perfectly relevant.

When a case is set on its side, heat from the graphics cards will rise toward the side panel of the case instead of the CPU heatsink, therefore there is less heat to be dissipated.

Make sense?

except most of that heat will still reflect off the side panel and wind up in approximately the same place, unless you have a side-panel fan installed

the heat from the vid card is not "that" significant, if it is, you have bad airflow in your case.

Right now I've got my 1055t @ 3.5ghz stock Vcore under a Zalman 9700 LED cooler.

Using IBT 20 passes @ Very High settings under full load I noticed that my temps were hitting 67c.

I made sure the heatsink was mounted properly, but something wasn't right. In games it never breaks 40c so I though IBT was just pushing it hard.

I got the idea to lay my computer down on its side to see if gravity would help with cooling and it did...

load temps never went above 37c. I got 3.5ghz stock vcore @ 37c load on a Zalman 9700.

My issue is that obviously the cooler is working because it doesn't break 40c in games and is mounted properly, but at the same time it's not working properly if it gets to 67c with the computer standing up and 37c on its side.

Has anyone else tried this out?

it may be working but doesn't mean that heatsinks worth a damn. if laying the case on its side helped cooling that means the heatsink isn't seated all the way and the weight of the heatsink is causing it to seat better on the IHS means the mounts either warped or not installed correctly.

honestly i'd replace that heatsink with something like the CM hyper 212+.

Heat from graphics cards rises, which means it's going to ht the CPU heatsink, which in turn means that you need to also dissipate that heat from the CPU heatsink in addition to the heat the CPU generates. It is perfectly relevant.

When a case is set on its side, heat from the graphics cards will rise toward the side panel of the case instead of the CPU heatsink, therefore there is less heat to be dissipated.

Make sense?

Firstly my comment was in good humour aimed at someone who'd obviously misunderstood what was being discussed.

And secondly....Bloody hell that's stretching the point a bit far isn't it? Heat from graphics card rising and impacting your cpu heatsink? Blimey...maybe if you work in decimal points of a degree.

But mainly...The thread is about heatsinks and how putting the motherboard parallel to the ground means temperatures drop. Neither the raven case orientation, nor vertical gpus, affect this in any way as the cpu heatsink is still hanging off the edge.

Last edited:
the sensor is faulty, or the software that's reading it is giving you a bad reading. You're CPU is not running at body temperature because your computer is on its side... assuming you're at room temperature.

Make sense?

Heat generates convection currents, which typically means a column of vertical hot air because hot air has a lower pressure than cold air, so the cold air "squeezes" it toward a zone of lower pressure --ie up.

Except the fans in your case are overriding any such currents.

the sensor is faulty, or the software that's reading it is giving you a bad reading. You're CPU is not running at body temperature because your computer is on its side... assuming you're at room temperature.

Heat generates convection currents, which typically means a column of vertical hot air because hot air has a lower pressure than cold air, so the cold air "squeezes" it toward a zone of lower pressure --ie up.

Except the fans in your case are overriding any such currents.

I'm not at room temperature. My ambient temp is 15c, and I'm not kidding. It's still winter where I am and I don't feel like wasting the money to heat up my place. When I touch the heatsink on its side it feels cool or neutral. I'm sure the sensors are working within reason.

heatpipes do work more efficiently when in a normal gravity induced state.
but I can't see a 20+ C differences TBH.
A simple heatpipe driven by convection alone is HUGELY effected by orientation; they work best when moving heat straight up, become less and less efficient the farther from vertical you get, almost stop working when horizontal, and start working backwards when upside down (your heatsink becomes a heat collector).

The heatpipes used on CPU coolers have a wick inside to allow the heatpipe to function more efficiently in other orientations. If the wick is broken or pinched, then you'll start seeing large fluctuations based on orientation again.

A simple heatpipe driven by convection alone is HUGELY effected by orientation; they work best when moving heat straight up, become less and less efficient the farther from vertical you get, almost stop working when horizontal, and start working backwards when upside down (your heatsink becomes a heat collector).

The heatpipes used on CPU coolers have a wick inside to allow the heatpipe to function more efficiently in other orientations. If the wick is broken or pinched, then you'll start seeing large fluctuations based on orientation again.

Now that is very interesting and something I haven't heard of before. Can you explain a bit more about this wick?

Back