How Hot

FiZuR

Limp Gawd
How hot are the HD4850's allowed to get before its really too hot?

I have the ASUS fan control kick the fan 100% at 75 deg, but I am sure you can go higher than that.

you mean hot to people usign them or hot for the company that made them? ATI made them so that they can withstand high heat. I had my 4870 reach 90c many times in furmark w/o issues. But i dont like to heat a small village so i have ATI fan hack at 40% and it loads at 65, idle at 45

No idea, but I think the default is that the fan kicks in to 100% at about 104c, so I would guess that would be getting close to the upper "safe" limit :)

ok, cuz im using the Duo-Orb and i can run it at 690 core and 1200 memory at about 100% and it seems to top out around 107c.

WAAAAAAAAAAa 107C! man thats crazy haha the 4850s are nice i cant decide wether to just go 4850 or wait longer for a 4870

ok, cuz im using the Duo-Orb and i can run it at 690 core and 1200 memory at about 100% and it seems to top out around 107c.

Your card shouldn't be getting anywhere near that temperature with such a small overclock. Reseat your cooler, and make sure you follow the mounting instructions perfectly and you apply the thermal compound well.

thats almost 200 on the memory and 75 on the core, thats not that small of an overclock. plus im in a mATX case too.

The DuOrb doesn't contact the RAM, so the memory overclock doesn't factor into this at all. As for the core, you're only running it 65MHz above stock, and you're using aftermarket cooling. Considering many people have no trouble maxing out the Overdrive sliders on stock cooling while getting ~80C temps, the levels your card is running at are simply ridiculous.

My 4850 with the stock cooler tops out at about 87C in games. With that cooler, you should be getting lower temps than that, despite the overclock. The max safe temp for sustained operation is 104C, the absolute max allowed is 125C.

Two possible explanations:
1. The heatsink is installed incorrectly, too much/too little thermal compound or similar

2. You don't have a *single* fan in your case. Even with a single, 80mm exhaust fan, you should get enough airflow to keep the GPU at reasonable temps with that cooler. If the hot air has nowhere to go however, your case will heat up inside like an oven... this isn't just bad for the video card. Your harddrive, RAM, mobo are at risk too.

where can i find the fan hack so i can increase the stock fan speed?

Just google for fan hack, you can't miss it. Also, and more importantly, your case is almost certainly not being ventilated properly. What are the temps for the rest of your components?

my HDD is sitting at 36c and my memory is running at 32c and processor overclocked to 2.8 is idle at 43c.

thanks, my idle temp now is 50c and load is in the 70s. I had to remove one of the windows next to the video card and it acts like an open case now.

any thoughts on what would be a really good cooler (other than water) would be for this card?

you must buy hardware often if you let it run at 107 degrees celsius, not gonna last long at those temps

any thoughts on what would be a really good cooler (other than water) would be for this card?

cant speak for the 4850 but the 4870 already has a very good cooler you just need to adjust the fan spead, with the 4850 I would def go aftermarket as that smaller fan is likely to be a screamer.

Your problem isn't the cooler. People with the small single-slot stock cooler get much lower temps than you do with that duo orb. Your problem is either with the case airflow or with the installation of the cooler. The 4850 doesn't put out alot of heat, pretty much any dual-slot cooler will keep it cool as long as you have an exhaust fan or two in the case.

i have the stock fan on again, the last set of temps i made a comment about are with the stock cooler.

The DuOrb is already a really good cooler. There's absolutely no reason for you to replace it. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, you should try reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal compound.

i actually didnt use the washers, it was similar to what he suggested, guess the confined space in the case really didnt help it at all. I would prefer something with a bit more power, and im going to mod the window on the case to allow a greater amount of cooler air into the case just for the card.

after putting the stock cooler back on and letting it set in with a few rounds of CoD4, i went back in to test some overclocking with the fan running at 80% (i can deal with the fan pretty easily), i got the core up to 690 and the memory to 1183 while at 100% it gets up to about 68c. Is that much better?

Meh I ignored all other posts. I wouldn't be surprised if those cards could run at about 90c under load no problem. Most electronic components run warmer than most people think.

Shit my evo 9 mr the motor oil ran during the winter with the oil cooler at about 70c which is cooler than a 8800gtx 768mb at full load which is about 80-88c. A video card will run warmer than a freaking 4 cylinder turboed 300whp (ya car was not stock). Just to give you an idea of how warm a video card will run. Those temperatures will not harm the card.

Back