How hot should a X5650 get ?

davidcarey

n00b
How hot should a Xeon X5650 get ? Using less than 25% load but the temps are pushing 70-80 C . Stock cooler and room temperature of 30 C . Seems a little warm for the load .

In a T3500?

With a cheap 80mm fan pulling across stock cooler and an X5670 on my T3500, my loaded temps did not go above 60*. With the W3680 I have now, software OC to 4.0 ghz it gets to 74*

If T3500
Which cooler do you have? the aluminum "V" brick or the copper heat pipe cooler? you need the copper heat pipe cooler with the hex cores.

In a T3500?

With a cheap 80mm fan pulling across stock cooler and an X5670 on my T3500, my loaded temps did not go above 60*. With the W3680 I have now, software OC to 4.0 ghz it gets to 74*

If T3500
Which cooler do you have? the aluminum "V" brick or the copper heat pipe cooler? you need the copper heat pipe cooler with the hex cores.

I am using the Intel E29477-002 stock cooler , I am about to migrate the board to another case with a new PSU and New 212X cooler ( I have a T3500 but need another M/B - can only get the older M/B here at a high price ) .

Somethings not adequate cooling wise. They dont run that hot even in OEM solutions. You mentioned stock cooler but which stock cooler exactly?

T5500 with dual X5675's, a 980Ti, a hot raid card and 24GB Registered ECC DDR3: Both CPU's max out at 70 degrees C at normal ambients. Totally stock cooling.

T5500 with dual X5675's, a 980Ti, a hot raid card and 24GB Registered ECC DDR3: Both CPU's max out at 70 degrees C at normal ambients. Totally stock cooling.

The T5500 stock coolers ,like the T3500 , are far better than the one I have , shame I cannot fit a T3500 ( U016F 0U016F ) cooler on this board as I have one sitting idle waiting for a replacement dell M/B.

Those crap stock Intel coolers aren't enough to cool an i7-920 at stock speeds.

ALL of those stock coolers of that design belong in the scrap heap to be melted down and re-made into something that is useful.

Intel has been using that design for forever now and it has always been a big steaming pile.

I guess you could use them as a weapon if you had nothing else. Those "fins" hitting you in the face with the weight of the rest of the cooler would certainly not feel very good.

Except the cooper coolers that came with that generation. But there are low profile coolers that are miles better than the aluminum ones and much better than the cooper ones

Those crap stock Intel coolers aren't enough to cool an i7-920 at stock speeds.

ALL of those stock coolers of that design belong in the scrap heap to be melted down and re-made into something that is useful.

Intel has been using that design for forever now and it has always been a big steaming pile.

I guess you could use them as a weapon if you had nothing else. Those "fins" hitting you in the face with the weight of the rest of the cooler would certainly not feel very good.
The 920 actually runs hotter on average than the X56xx chips.

I can back up this claim, the i7 920 I had in the day definitely ran hotter than the x5675's in my Dell.

Did they have the same cooler? What about airflow through the case? Not saying it isn't true, but unless the systems were exactly the same, including motherboard and power supply, the only difference being the CPU, then it is not really a valid claim.

Still, those gay Intel stock coolers are total crap.

Did they have the same cooler? What about airflow through the case? Not saying it isn't true, but unless the systems were exactly the same, including motherboard and power supply, the only difference being the CPU, then it is not really a valid claim.

It's pretty straight forward.

I7 920 is a 45nm 130W part.
X5650 is a 32nm 95W part.

The Westmere chips will produce less heat than Bloomfield with all other factors the same.

The i7 920 probably had a better cooling solution than the Dell I run now.

Sorted the problem out ( touch wood ) , I think . Now have a CM 212X cooler and Corsair CX650M PSU and Temps are fine . Changed the case to another Chinese one ( with serious issues ) . I had a few real puzzles to work out - Top of M/B to top fan 5mm less than ideal , same with bottom of case (PSU shroud) to M/B also the M/B to DVD/Rom clearance too small and the bottom two 120mm fans mounting holes are too close to the M/B ( might use double sided tape here ) .
Here is a question , many have probably already posed . Could the T3500 heat-sink be fitted to a non Dell 1366 M/B socket . I tentatively tried the Dell cooler on the CM standoff screws and obviously the screws match up , but the standoff screws are a little too high , BUT , CM also supply smaller ones that fit the 2011 socket . Anyone tried this ?

Last edited:
T3500 heat sink should work. But youll need the coolermaster back plate.

Back