• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How hot is too hot?

Moose777

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,741
I was just playing a game on my AMD (Asus A8V Deluxe AMD 3500+). My temp alarm went off at 58º on the NorthBridge. Is that acceptable or should I be worried?

I don't have A/C in my house and we've had quite a few 90º+ days.
 
Is the first 58° in C and the 90° in F? Because 58°F doesn't warrant a temp alarm going off, and 90°C is really freaking hot. :p

Stuff burns at 65°-70°C (for the most part), so a load temp under 60°C is my rule. I tend to shy away from that though..and end up keeping things under 50°C :D

If it's going to get hotter..might be a good idea to dust out your rig. You can look into better cooling if you want, but stock usually gets stuff done at stock speed.

 
I believe it was celcius.

And it's not a stock rig or a stock case. I've got everything in a Chenbro Gaming Bomb II. With 8 120mm fans.

The case is also fairly clean, I open it up about once a month to clean it.

Normally the thing stays around 40º C under a load but since the weather these past few days have been a little unforgiving it's been running a bit hotter under a load.

Do you think I should put a fan on the northbridge now?

Here's a few pics of my case as it is now.

PICT0031.jpg


PICT0033.jpg


PICT0028.jpg


It's still being modded which is why there are no grills on it.
 
so it was 90ºc out? that's nuts! :p

i think i would just go put a 40mm fan on the NB heatsink, or find a 3rd party heatsink with a fan on it. i think zalman and swiftech make good ones :D
 
Well, I just got a box of 80mm fans that I ordered for another computer case I'm building (My HP Star Wars mod) think I could find a HS for the northbridge that I can use ab 80mm fan with?

And I just turned the thing back on to see if it's set for celcius or farenheit and it's set for farenheit so it's 50º F not 90º.
 
80mm is rather....large for a northbridge. Also, I doubt it would fit as processor heatsink/fans tend to be pretty large and close to the northbridge.

Passive cooling?

 
Did you apply thermal grease to the processor? Usually helps a bit if applied right. If you put too much on, it could bubble and burn and work against itself. Also, your processor fan, is it plugged into a power from the power supply or through the motherboard? Motherboard power doesnt supply that much power to the fan.
 
DeadlyAura said:
Did you apply thermal grease to the processor? Usually helps a bit if applied right. If you put too much on, it could bubble and burn and work against itself. Also, your processor fan, is it plugged into a power from the power supply or through the motherboard? Motherboard power doesnt supply that much power to the fan.
Processor isn't the issue. The northbridge is. But to answer your question my processor fan is plugged into the mother board.

Quai, isn't it already kind of passive cooling since it's only got the HS on it? And I think you are right about the 80mm fans being too large for the NB especially with my XP120 HSF.

And again, sorry for going back and fourth like this but it's Celcius. I was looking at the temp of the Hewlett Packard since the computer's share the same monitor. So, unfortunately my northbridge is 90ºC.
 
Moose777 said:
And I just turned the thing back on to see if it's set for celcius or farenheit and it's set for farenheit so it's 50º F not 90º.
50ºf isn't a problem.. but wait. now that makes no sense. 50f is 10c. way below normal ambient temp.. which is usually around 20-25c

i think you need to start over, and tell us the temps of everything in one unit, and say what unit :eek: :eek: :confused:
 
Ok. Yeah I just confused myself.

Here are the actual temps. Everything is in Celcius now.

CPU is 34.2ºC
6800GT is 35.4C
HD is 32.1ºC
Northbridge is 39.4ºC (At idle.) When I was playing Jedi Knigh Academy a few minutes ago it was at exactly 50ºC and the alarm went off for it.
 
a passive NB cooler from zalman should do fine lol 8 120MM fans should be ample airflow :p
 
Yeah, ok then I'm going to order the passive northbridge heatsink tomorrow after work and I'm also going to adjust the alarm since I may have it set too low.
 
50-55c is a good point for the alarm. i don't know how hot via's chipsets can get, but no reason to push it. i still think a small fan on the stock heatsink would do a lot though :cool:
 
Just make the entire side of a case out of a table fan why don't ya...

Just kidding :). That thing has some massive airflow. I hope you are using a fan controller/ 7V mod to limit the noise :)
 
FIrst off I have the A8V Deluxe and I believe the boards read to hot out of the box, I just happened upon this forum a few weeks back and found out that my A64 3400+ running underload was hitting max temp of 70c. This alarmed me so I bought an XP-90 and some AS5 and it has lowered my temps quite a bit. Still idles at a hight temp of 53c but under load it doesnt seem to go more than 56c as it was hitting 70c before the XP-90. I just question the heat probes on these boards I guess. Even while I was hitting max temp I was not having any system issues or alarms, And I was running it like this for a good 6 months.
 
DarkenReaper57 said:
Just make the entire side of a case out of a table fan why don't ya...

Just kidding :). That thing has some massive airflow. I hope you are using a fan controller/ 7V mod to limit the noise :)
I seriously thought about doing that. lol

I am using a fan controller and no I'm not running a 7v fan mod. Although I daisy chained 2 of the fans so that I could control the both of them with one fan knob so they are fairly quiet.

I'm going to hopefully go out this weekend and pickup a northbridge HS and fan. I've got to work and re-time my car. I put a ported and polished head on it with a 3º valve job and a new cam and I'm off by a tooth. Nice thing about Neons is they allow for 8º of error which is roughly 2-3 teeth before it begins to canabalize itself.
 
I know this may be off topic but that is pretty sick. Just out of curiosity, how much was the port polished head? And what else you got in it besides the head and cam? And, what are you putting out for whp? Neon is a decent car, easy to tune, and gives decent horsepower. Myself, I am a Honda and Nissan guy. :D
 
DeadlyAura said:
I know this may be off topic but that is pretty sick. Just out of curiosity, how much was the port polished head? And what else you got in it besides the head and cam? And, what are you putting out for whp? Neon is a decent car, easy to tune, and gives decent horsepower. Myself, I am a Honda and Nissan guy. :D
I sent you a PM.

I'm a Mopar guy, I've seen some nice Honda's and Nissan's but they really don't do anything for me, I'm not really impressed with them. But when I see one that is done nice and the person driving it knows what he or she is talking about I can respect that. But most of the time I meet little punk kids who don't know anything.
 
Back
Top