How hot is too hot?

DeadlyAura

CoalWagen
2FA
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
5,068
My mother is the proud owner of a piece of shit Gateway. I have F@H running on the computer and I downloaded speed fan to monitor temps.

System Specs: 1.5gHz Intel P4-256MB SDRAM

Speed fan is giving me two readouts, it has CPU temp, and Remote Temp.

So the first question is: What is remote temp?

The remote temp is at 72*C and the processor is at 45*C. This converts to about 170*F and 113*F. The little sybol next to the temp on the remote is a fireball. Which, I am assuming, means very bad. :p

The next question is: Is that too hot? What options do I have to cool it? Its way out of warrantee so I don't mind ripping it apart if I have to. Sorry mommy. :D

 
I had 2 temps on mine that were stuck at 72 and 128. Just means that speedfan is reading it wrong, whatever sensor it is. Just chill is what i'd say :p
 
Alright thanks. As long as I know the thing isn't going to burst into flames in the middle of the night. :p

Come to think of it, when I first booted speedfan, the computer had only been running for 5 minutes before hand but still was reading 66*C on the remote sensor when it started. So it must be reading it wrong.

 
Back
Top