How Hot Is Too Hot? Gigabyte 5850 OC

KublaKhan

Limp Gawd
I have a Gigabyte 5850 OC (factory overclocked to 765/1000). Playing BF3 @ 1920x1200 on "High" settings, I've seen temps. hit 93C. Doesn't stay there, but not sure at what point I should start freaking out.

At 100% fan (using MSI Afterburner), temps are 80-85C.

Idle is 45-47C.

temps are high but the gpu can handle it.. if you get into the 100C+ area then start freaking the hell out.

check your case cooling, check the heatsink see if its not packed with dust.. or just find a better spot for the system so its not sucking in the same hot air that its exhausting.

93C is hotter than I'd be comfortable with, but it's probably not the end of the world. What is the average temp in the MSI AB/GPUz graph?

Hows your fresh air supply to that part of the case? Which cooler does yours have? a middle fan (where hot air dumps into the case) or the end fan (where most of it leaves the case)?

EDIT: my googling reveals a dual fan cooler card, is that what yours has? perhaps this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125318

if that's the one, I'd be looking at case airflow first.

93C is hotter than I'd be comfortable with, but it's probably not the end of the world. What is the average temp in the MSI AB/GPUz graph?

Hows your fresh air supply to that part of the case? Which cooler does yours have? a middle fan (where hot air dumps into the case) or the end fan (where most of it leaves the case)?

EDIT: my googling reveals a dual fan cooler card, is that what yours has? perhaps this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125318

if that's the one, I'd be looking at case airflow first.

Yea, thats my exact card.

I have a 92mm intake and a 120mm exhaust.

Let me do some re-arranging and I'll report back.

Found the problem.. the fan, on the card, next to the I/O plate isn't spinning all the way up. After I got the side panel off I could hear it rattling, will have to rig something up to fix that. The second fan is working fine though.

Thanks for the help/info.

Back