How hard to buy/install legit XP Pro key - if needed?

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd
I bought my computer 4 years ago from a private shop that has since gone out of business. It has XP Pro on it. I paid about $2,500 for the comp and I still love it. Not sure how trustworthy the shop owners were when it comes to legit software though.

I see Microsoft is stepping up efforts to crack down on XP Pro users who might have bogus copies. This could include me, I don't know for sure, the guys who built mine are long gone. My computer has passed many WGA checks in the past few years, but perhaps this newer WGA will find something.

Right now, I am completely updated and in good working order and have passed all current WGA tests. If my comp is somehow flagged by this new WGA, then what's the best remedy? Try to call Microsoft directly? Would they be able to sell me a valid key or confirm for sure that mine is valid/invalid? Is it easy to install a new key?

Please do not post any hacks or links to anything questionable. I am simply trying to ensure I am 100% legit.

IIRC, newegg still sells oem xp licenses so you might want to check them out. Keep in mind that you will have to buy a hardware component if you get an oem license (could be as simple as more memory or a new hard drive).

I thought, in the past, Microsoft gave away legit license to people who purchased pirated versions of XP pre-installed on a system. I'm sure you'd have to prove that you at least paid for it, that you assumed you were legit.

sounds legit enough to me. Youve made it past sp3 and the pirated software checker.

If you still have the same install then either it's legit or they maybe got 1 CD key and used it for a few computers... did you get a COA and holograph CD?

Either way if its not legit you can buy an OEM copy from NewEgg, home is cheaper but I think it will be eaiser for you to get pro. Then Microsoft has a programt that will let you convert the cd key so no reinstall of the OS will be needed

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/se...en&sGuid=4326fa05-f333-4666-bb84-893ca347f869

If you have't had any trouble so far, just leave it. If you get flagged for a pirated copy MS will actually link you to a special deal to buy XP. Though honestly I'd just buy Vista instead.

I think it's a "special deal" compared to the retail boxed copy of XP. IIRC I saw someone buy it and XP pro "Special" was $150 + shipping

If you really wanted to test it, you could stand up a virtual machine and install XP on it with your key. Then let it activate online. ASSUMING it's not an OEM copy...

But you've survived all the "hacks" that have been patched in previous versions if you've had that for 2 years plus. Sounds like it's legit, especially if you have the CD Key and media.

I forgot, open My Computer and hit help on the menu, then choose "Is this copy of Windows legal?" That might just do the WGA check again, I don't recall.

And I installed a "Dell OEM" Vista disc on a Gigabyte motherboard, it came up as "Genuine" and "Activated" and I even installed SP1 and it still kept on saying these things. Never even asked for a cd key....

sounds legit enough to me. Youve made it past sp3 and the pirated software checker.

Thanks for all the replies gents.

I have indeed installed SP3. Does that automatically scan all software, as well as system?

download and run Magic Jellybean's keyfinder: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
to get your xp key. The worst thing that couuld happen to you right now is if your hard drive died or your install got corrupted. Email it to yourself for safe keeping.

If you those fellows were nice enough to leave without giving you any documentation.

Back