• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How hard is water cooling setup

-Cryptic-

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
66
I was just curouise how hard it really is to set up a water cooling system and if its really worth it. My only reason for asking this is becuase summer is right around the corner and I know my room is gonna be HOT!!!!! and I want to keep my comp cool
 
Very simple. Key is patience ;)

Grab a swiftech apex kit. And "is it worth it" is a question you have to ask yourself.
 
qbackin said:
Very simple. Key is patience.
very true

i just dove into watercooling for the first time in the past week. I went with a Swiftech Apex Ultra kit because its the best kit you can buy and I wanted to make sure I had all the parts I need for the setup. BUT, depending on your case you may need to drill some holes for the tubes unless your mounting the radiator inside of your case. Luckily my Armor has pre-drilled holes for watercooling and I didnt have to fool with that. Basically, just make sure you have everything you need and go slow to do things right. Very very easy IMO.
 
-Cryptic- said:
Are leaks a rare problem with water cooling
Well, really, it depends.... If you are a very observant, careful person who takes his/her time and plans/executes things well, then, yes, they are a rare problem. Human error and carelessness are usually the main causes for leaks--rarely is it the fault of the parts themselves.

Just be sure to research & plan thoroughly and take your time when assembling things. Also, don't forget to leak test the loop after you put it together (make sure to do this away from your computer's components).
 
In my experience, leaks aren't "rare", but they're not "common" either. I have had a couple of leaks, one was due to a water block that cracked. That one fried my mobo and a video card. The other leak happened over Christmas when my rig was actually off. I came back to see some residue on the bottm of my case that was dried, so a seal must not have quite seated right when there was no waterflow or something.

This is NOT to discourage you from wc'ing your computer. I do it because I enjoy it and want a computer that's unique (and the performace options are nice too). BUT you do need to be patient and pay attention to detail. There's a lot less room for error here than just air cooling your rig.

Something to keep in mind is that you're not going to be able to cool your computer lower than the ambient temperature in your room with just wc'ing. The big advantage of wc'ing is that it removes heat
quicker than air cooling.

I would also recommend a kit rather than trying to piece it together yourself. There's just too much stuff out there for a n00bie to try to put together without giving yourself a serious brain cramp.
 
Not really, just take a look at a kit, and base your system off that.... thats what I did...I'm a newb it was simple...

used a T-line rather than rez, got a better radiator and water block and GPU block for about the same price as the swiftech kit...
 
as far as leaks go, use pipe thread tape on your threads & hose clamps on all your fittings. that should significantly decrease the chances of a leak. Also, these items should be available at any hardware/plumbing supply store.

EDIT: also make sure to leak test before installation.
 
Back
Top