How good is the PS3 for format support?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm sick of my Samsung TV saying "non supported format" when I'm anticipating to watch a movie only to find out I can't watch it. I'm either going to build a HTPC, or buy a PS3. If I go the PS3 route, how good is it at playing various file formats? Does it support all major formats that a Windows or Linux machine with proper codec packs be able to play?

For the PS3 just download PS3Mediaserver. And run it on your desktop system that your files are on. Will play ANYTHING.

It does ok with PS3 Media Server. You'll probably go farther than your TV currently does but then you'll just run into the dreaded Non Supported Format or Data Corrupt. Also if you have anything that has mono audio it will either not have sound or it'll be out of sync. Even a Atom/ION combo is better than PS3.

The PS3 is actually one of the worst media devices in terms of support for containers. build a HTPC.. So you don't have to deal with PS3 Media Server.

The PS3 is actually one of the worst media devices in terms of support for containers. build a HTPC.. So you don't have to deal with PS3 Media Server.

It's "build an HTPC so you don't have to deal with chunks of your media being unplayable." :rolleyes:

PS3 Media Server, for what it is and what it does, is pretty good but it's still a pile of crap compared to an HTPC that is capable of playing damn near everything under the sun. When my HTPC's mobo died, and I had to wait to replace it for a few weeks, I used my PS3 for media playing. Turned out that 90% of my media would play, incredibly annoying and drove me crazy.

Good to know, guess I'll stick to a HTPC then. Actually cheaper in my case as I have an old Acer computer someone gave me. Will do for now till I can build something better, and add a HD capable video card. Only thing with a HTPC is heat. I'll be storing it in a closed cabinet. Guess I can turn it on only on a as needed basis. Is that what most people do?

PS3Mediaserver plays files just fine. Just dont try to pause, fast forward, skip, rewind if anything better than an uncompressed SD file. I was really hoping the PS3 would do more than just "play".

I don't know what issues you guys are having but my PS3 + PS3MediaServer works fine. I can pause, fast forward, skip, rewind, everything for my HD files, but I'm also over a gigabit network.

Its only 720p. That's why I prefer using the Sharkys007 codec + divx tech preview + Windows media center on my 360. It streams 1080p mkv's without transcoding. Anyone know if that combination will work for the PS3? You will still not have the ability to rewind or fast forward. That's a mkv issue.

I doubt this PC I have will do more then 720 though I'm hoping it will. Going to try the Linux route, if that's too hard then I'll just go with windows. Trying to make it as light as possible though, it's just a Celeron. Those lock up if you move the cards in solitaire too fast. :p

Forgot to add, I've converted nearly all of my MKVs to M2TS (just changed the container) using PS3Muxer, takes only a couple minutes per 8gb file and makes it so there's no transcoding done via PS3MediaServer. Even transcoding though I'm able to pause/rewind/fast forward.

I doubt this PC I have will do more then 720 though I'm hoping it will. Going to try the Linux route, if that's too hard then I'll just go with windows. Trying to make it as light as possible though, it's just a Celeron. Those lock up if you move the cards in solitaire too fast. :p

The 360 or PS3 takes care of things when you avoid transcoding, streaming a file directly is not cpu intensive at all, and might use 30 megabits across the network.

Forgot to add, I've converted nearly all of my MKVs to M2TS (just changed the container) using PS3Muxer, takes only a couple minutes per 8gb file and makes it so there's no transcoding done via PS3MediaServer. Even transcoding though I'm able to pause/rewind/fast forward.

You are losing a ton of image quality doing it that way. Unless you are using a smaller tv you should be running 1080p, assuming the source is 1080p.

Wait, PS3 Media server does do 1080P. I have had zero issues with PS3 media server. In fact I love that I have once device for movies, rips, and gaming. plus at 299$, show me a HTPC that can do better.

Wait, PS3 Media server does do 1080P. I have had zero issues with PS3 media server. In fact I love that I have once device for movies, rips, and gaming. plus at 299$, show me a HTPC that can do better.

Last I heard it actually only outputs at 720p. Maybe it has changed since then. Still it transcodes does it not?

Jailbreak an Apple TV2, good to go. Slap XBMC on there. You need to have a VERY large TV, or sit VERY close to it, to be able to see the difference between 1080p and 720p.

Jailbreak an Apple TV2, good to go. Slap XBMC on there. You need to have a VERY large TV, or sit VERY close to it, to be able to see the difference between 1080p and 720p.

120Hz 55 inches is enough, i see the difference between all different sources

720p is fine on my 24" pc monitor in most cases but i see that too

120Hz 55 inches is enough, i see the difference between all different sources

720p is fine on my 24" pc monitor in most cases but i see that too

I'd expect you would on the PC Monitor.. but for your TV?

resolution_chart.html

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but it's hard to beat for the money.

I'd expect you would on the PC Monitor.. but for your TV?

resolution_chart.html

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but it's hard to beat for the money.

did you link to something because if so the links broken....im not in need of anything for the TV,

Ended up putting Ubuntu on that HP computer. Works awesome! Did not put an actual HTPC app on it yet, but just playing video manually and what not is awesome. I have to do it through VNC for now and run to the TV, so my next purchase is some kind of input device like a remote that can translate to keystrokes, or maybe just a wireless trackball. I'll have to play with HTPC software first to decide what kind of controls are desireable, just mouse clicks, or keyboard strokes, and go from there.

I'm really impressed with Ubuntu 10.10. I did not have to screw around with anything, it "just works". Screen resolution, mapping shares, video playback, even flash. Right out of the box.

I'll have to look for some codec packs as I'm sure I'll run into formats it won't play, such as WMP but I'm way ahead of what I figured. Probably going to try XBMC.

Last edited:
The 360 or PS3 takes care of things when you avoid transcoding, streaming a file directly is not cpu intensive at all, and might use 30 megabits across the network.

You are losing a ton of image quality doing it that way. Unless you are using a smaller tv you should be running 1080p, assuming the source is 1080p.

I was told that merely changing the container from MKV to M2TS (PS3 supported) doesn't result in a loss of quality video wise. Now if it has a DTS track, it needs to be converted to AC3 which I suppose technically is a loss in quality for the audio, but this is primarily for my bedroom LCD using the built in speakers, and I haven't noticed a difference there nor in the living room so I'm content. The only real 'loss' by doing this very quick conversion is that I lose external subtitle support, which for a movie like District 9 really sucks - but I leave movies like that as MKV and transcode with no issue.

Last I heard it actually only outputs at 720p. Maybe it has changed since then. Still it transcodes does it not?

And from what I can tell it definitely outputs in 1080P, no transcoding whatsoever with M2TS files, only with MKV, and when it does transcode, the performance hit is minimal.

I'm probably the minority that agrees, it's crap really. Sony could easily implement this stuff.

Also has cinavia, so even ps3 media server rips will soon be shut off.

I'm selling my PS3 to a co-worker. Never played games on it anyway.

I'm probably the minority that agrees, it's crap really. Sony could easily implement this stuff.

Also has cinavia, so even ps3 media server rips will soon be shut off.

I agree it could be a helluva lot better, but it works when you set it up, and I rarely encounter issues with it.

I looked up that Cinavia bit, and from what I could tell it compares a watermark in the audio to a watermark in the video, and if they're different, it won't play audio. The article I read mentions both CAMs and R5 releases being affected which I can see happening, but what about standard Blu-Ray rips to MKV containers, I don't really see how those could be affected if the audio/video is from the same source.

I agree it could be a helluva lot better, but it works when you set it up, and I rarely encounter issues with it.

I looked up that Cinavia bit, and from what I could tell it compares a watermark in the audio to a watermark in the video, and if they're different, it won't play audio. The article I read mentions both CAMs and R5 releases being affected which I can see happening, but what about standard Blu-Ray rips to MKV containers, I don't really see how those could be affected if the audio/video is from the same source.

That isn't how it works.

Rip a blu-ray to mkv,mpeg2,divx,xvid... doesn't matter, it detects the watermark in the audio and compares that to the video. Obviously the video no longer matches(not even on a ripped 1:1 blu-ray, as the encryption has been removed) and the ps3 shuts it down.

Download a BR rip of the social network, actually you only need 21 minutes of the video and try to watch it on your ps3.

Download a BR rip of the social network, actually you only need 21 minutes of the video and try to watch it on your ps3.

Tried it, nothing happened, the movie played fine. The movie was still crap though. :rolleyes:

This only effects the HD audio track. If you use standard DTS or DD, it will not effect anything.

Ok so I installed XBMC and it looks cool so far but... it wont play ANYTHING. It just says "playback failed" on every single file I try. If I play those files directly outside of the app, they play fine. Why is this?

Also, anyone know of a good codec pack for ubuntu? I just want to cover all my bases. There are a few movies that wont play as they are in non standard formats.

ok nm turns out to be a permission issue. I freaking hate Linux permissions. You'd think that if it's chmodded 770 and the user is in the group that those files are part of, that I'd have access, but nope. Had to make it world readable for it to work. I like Linux, but when it comes to it's permission system, it really needs work. a LOT of work. NTFS is where it's at when it comes to permissions.

This only effects the HD audio track. If you use standard DTS or DD, it will not effect anything.

This shouldn't be accurate. It should be on all audio tracks. It's even on a few dvd's.

One of the programs out there that converts media to work on ps3 uses a loophole to get around cinavia(well, the 6 or 7 discs that have it) but i believe it's easily closed by sony if they so choose.

This shouldn't be accurate. It should be on all audio tracks. It's even on a few dvd's.

One of the programs out there that converts media to work on ps3 uses a loophole to get around cinavia (well, the 6 or 7 discs that have it) but i believe it's easily closed by sony if they so choose.

I'll care when it actually "works" and all of a sudden my new media can't play. :rolleyes:
Until then it's a total non-issue, all I care is that my BR rips and DVD rips play perfectly fine.

I'll care when it actually "works" and all of a sudden my new media can't play. :rolleyes:
Until then it's a total non-issue, all I care is that my BR rips and DVD rips play perfectly fine.

I would expect all new sony releases to have it.

i'm about fed up with ps3 media server / ps3 as a media player.

i can't wait for my media pc build :(

I ended up installing ubuntu and XBMC on an older PC and so far I love it. I just need to figure out why some videos have a really weird speed issue with them. I watched a 8GB mkv file and it would randomly speed up and slow down at times, was odd. There is also an issue where whenever there is a fade in a movie, it is choppy. Overall movies are fine though. I love the fast bootup and shutdown of Ubuntu as well.

Back