How good is a DLP TV?

BrokenNut

n00b
I was thinking about splurging on a new TV, and at first I thought one of the 42" plasma HDTVs would be a good choice, but after a trip down to Fry's and seeing some of the 50"+ DLP TVs that can do 1080p, I was thinking those might be a better choice. I figure the resolution of 1920x1080 would make it good to hook up a computer to and game on occasionally. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with such a TV and how they work as a computer monitor for gaming I would appreciate the feedback. Right now I'm interested in this model here: Samsung HL-R5678W Here is some info on it:
http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=10553282
http://www.onecall.com/PID_27207.htm?IncSPLID=970

Wondering what the best sort of connection to hook up a computer to it would be? Not sure if there is such a problem with Response time as there is with LCDs or is it more like a CRT and theres no worry about that sort of thing. OK, well thank you for any help you can offer or a link to another thread on this topic in case I missed it while searching.

I'm pretty sure you'll want a HDTV with HDMI inputs, then use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to feed it a digital signal from your video card.

And the latest DLP HDTVs are pretty awesome... my Dad got a Toshiba 52HMX84 with a HD2+ chip, and it is amazing to look at.

Just be advised that some HDTVs say right on them "don't use as a computer monitor." Of course, that doesn't mean that it can't WORK that way. :D

You SHOULDN'T have any response time/motion blur issues with DLP, but honestly I'm not 100% sure.

CastleBravo said:
I'm pretty sure you'll want a HDTV with HDMI inputs, then use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to feed it a digital signal from your video card.

And the latest DLP HDTVs are pretty awesome... my Dad got a Toshiba 52HMX84 with a HD2+ chip, and it is amazing to look at.

Just be advised that some HDTVs say right on them "don't use as a computer monitor." Of course, that doesn't mean that it can't WORK that way. :D

You SHOULDN'T have any response time/motion blur issues with DLP, but honestly I'm not 100% sure.

I have the prevoius gen of the Samsung he just posted. 46", it actually has a VGA in and a PC Mode on the TV :D

grendelrt said:
I have the prevoius gen of the Samsung he just posted. 46", it actually has a VGA in and a PC Mode on the TV :D

Have you hooked up your computer to it? If you have, how was it? Was it grainy, stretched, choppy or anything? I'd just be able to plug my computer into it, and set a desired resolution and play? Just wondering if there is the issue with native resolutions and scaling down like LCDs or not. Also, what about consoles, would they look really bad on this thing? One of the first things I'd like to do on this TV would be to play Smash Bros. on it and see the characters like a foot tall running around and hititng each other. Second thing would be to hook up my computer and play some Doom 3 at night with the lights off. Black levels should be good on this, I saw one of the spec sheets for it said a contrast of 10,000:1

I have an older Samsung DLP set (HLM). There have been vast improvements since I bought, namely contrast ratios. However my Samsung has both a DVI and a VGA port available. Yes it has a native res of 1280x720. It is possible to use a few other resolutions, but you won't want to. The scaling is not very good. At the native res it's crystal clear, text is clear, etc.

Consoles look fine. Non-HD consoles do have to be upscaled to 720p (some may now upscale to 1080p), which can make them look a little funny. This won't be a problem for very long with Xbox360 and PS3 around the corner.

Back