How good can TN panels get?

MF_Kitten

n00b
How big of a difference can one expect between «similar» TN panels many years apart?

I have a Philips 272G5DYEB/00 which is a 1ms (they wish) 144Hz Gsync monitor, obviously TN. I have a chance to upgrade to an Acer Predator XB271HA for a negligible price. It is also a 1ms 144Hz Gsync TN. It has an 8bit panel instead of the 6bit one on the Philips, and I think 100nits more brightness than the Philips.

How much of a difference can I expect to see between the panels realistically, considering the limitations of TN? I suspect the Acer will be faster so there’s less ghosting?

8 vs 6 bit can be a big difference and there may be a significant difference in viewing angles. I have loathed a lot of cheap TN panels whether on monitors or laptops because the moment you move a bit the colors shift noticeably. Not so on my 8-bit ASUS PG278Q from 2014, you only notice it if you really lean back or stand up on your chair, putting you in a position you normally are not in when sitting in front of the screen using it.

The panel used in the XB271 and PG278Q is probably the best TN panel every made. AUO really hit it out of the park with that one.

Back