How good are Opterons for gaming?

Postal Dude

Limp Gawd
If given a choice between a 2Ghz opteron and a 2Ghz Athlon64 Which would be the best for gaming? If no clear answer, would it affect gaming much or day to day use?

depends on the cache. if you mean the s939 opterons, they'll be essentially the same as an equivilently spec'ed a64.

pandora's box said:
if you overclock then a opteron would not be a good choice.
In another thread its been stated that opteron 939's are a relabled SD core of sorts. And they overclock like hell. Eclipse got 2.8 prime stable from a 144 opteron (1.8 stock) on AIR!!!

yes these new opertons look pretty promising. if you look at the review in the beginning of that thread about the new opertons. HERE if your really lazy. look at the comparison graphs of the 3000+ and the 144 OC'ed and not

with the 9 multi i think my board is gonna be hindered somwhat. Would it be worth getting the 146 for the higher multi? dont want my pooey neo2 to crap out at high ht

it's pretty much up to you whether or not you'd want to spend the extra $50 for the 10x multi and 200mhz more. It's like before now when people ask which to buy "3000+ vs 3200+". I got the 146 because I would prefer having the 10x multi.

Opterons are about the same for gaming as their Athlon counterparts. My machine performs a bit better than an A64 3200+ in games. Somewhere in between a 3200+ and a 3500+ to be a little more specific. That's with Opteron 246's. Same clock speed as the 3200+ but the L2 cache helps some, but doesn't quite take it to 3500+ levels.

The new 254's I should be getting shortly should perform very closely to that of an FX-57 Or fairly close to it.

Back