How good are Apple's latest 24 inch Macs for gaming

24" monitor for gaming?
For Tetris is fine, but for real gaming... mmm I prefer a slightly bigger monitor with good stats as more Hertz something like 200 or more. I have friends that play some games on 48" OLED :)
Apple produces things for work, browsing, movies or something like entertainment but not gaming.

For cheap gaming, you need any kind of console.
For powerful gaming, you need a good PC with Windows (or Linux but not really).
For the moment Apple will not touch this market.

Apple's latest generation 24 inch Macs with are solution of 4.5K, and their higher models with 10 cores, looks really tempting and promising on papers.

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_24_inch_m3_mac_features_price_sale_date-news-60420.php

How good are these PCs for playing latest generation games at native resolution @ 60FPS?
24" monitor for gaming?
For Tetris is fine, but for real gaming... mmm I prefer a slightly bigger monitor with good stats as more Hertz something like 200 or more. I have friends that play some games on 48" OLED :)
Apple produces things for work, browsing, movies or something like entertainment but not gaming.

For cheap gaming, you need any kind of console.
For powerful gaming, you need a good PC with Windows (or Linux but not really).
For the moment Apple will not touch this market.

I like PC gaming, 15 years ago I had a high end gaming rig (Intel C2D 8400, GTX 360, 22 inch display with 1680 X 1080) I enjoyed games like Crysis, Crysis 2, Assassin Creed, NFSMW.

Those games are like a nostalgia for me. After that I never got time and money to upgrade my rig. Now if I can get time for gaming I would rather prefer a 30 inch 4K display, or maybe 27 inch 4K in case 30 inch displays are still expensive, not sure which CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, Case, heatsink I would go for. 15 years are enough for things to significantly change.

For me, time for 4k gaming may not come soon, because I prefer a high refresh rate.
What is your preferred resolution @ 120FPS that you considered affordable? Its been more than a decade, when 4K displays came to horizon. But there hasn't been significant development in GPUs that could play games at 4K unless we spend more than $1200 for top notch GPUs

UltraWide 200++ Hertz and card that can fill this with the same or more FPS.
OLED needs ~30% lower Hertz to show the same filling so is a viable option too.

Apple has a problem with maintaining OS compatability with released software. This makes it a poor choice for gaming if you like to jump between games released outside of about a 2 year window, IMHO.

Supposedly, Apple wants to attract games again, and is working on something to make that possible, but is it going to stick?

OTOH, if you enjoyed fiddling with config.sys more than playing the game once you got it running, maybe mac is a reasonable choice.

Even if the current Macs were good for gammin (which I don't believe they are), playing any game on a 24" monitor is like driving around in a Monster Truck with 16" rims & tires...yea it will work, but they're just way to small to be of any real use :D

That's why I say "go big or go home" when it comes to Monitors, ssd's, and ram....

Crysis 3, GTA-5, NFS Most Wanted and BattleForce BD2

You can see the sorta results you can expect on YouTube. The short answer is meh.. it should work. It boils down to having to use something like "Crossover" as a translation layer because none of those games you listed have versions that will run natively on M series hardware.

*late edit*
Added some more detail.

Last edited:
I would not buy a Mac for gaming unless there is a specific game that you play a lot that is fully supported ARM/Metal on it like BG3, War Thunder, etc.

lol first you are not "PC gaming" on a mac...
but some games will work. when i loaded steam onto my m1 macbook air, it went from 175 games to 6-7. first find out if what you want to play is even available. then google videos of it to see if its acceptable to you.

Back