How for can a wireless connection reach? need info

Dulak

Limp Gawd
I work 1 block away from my home. Instead of paying for service through the cell phone company I am wondering if I can hook something up where I could get a signal at my work.

So what router is suggested and is there some type of booster I can put outside my home to give a good signal and do you think it could reach a block away? ie there buildings and houses in the way also.

I'm in london here and there doesnt appear to be any decent mobile services. So I am hoping to come up with this.

thanks

Your out of luck with typical wireless. There is line of sight microwave equipment that could be used however externall antena's would have to be installed with no obstructions.

I'm assuming that the company you work for is OK with this, right? Anyway, with a regular home wireless router, you might be able to get a signal to reach 100-200 feet indoors and maybe 300 or so outdoors. So, that probably won't work for you. You may end up spending more than it's worth to make it work.

hmmm so sounds like I wont be able to reach that far from my home to the office?

So an external antena wont work because of the buildings in the way etc?

I'm pretty sure there are a few companies that make wireless networking equipment that operate on a lower frequency with longer range. And they get past the line of site issue but the speed is much slower.

Back