How fast do you believe Fermi will be relative to 5870?

How fast do you believe Fermi will be relative to 5870?

• Slower than 5870!!

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • About equal with 5870

Votes: 60 19.7%
  • 10% faster than 5870

Votes: 80 26.3%
  • 20% faster than 5870

Votes: 70 23.0%
  • 30% faster than 5870

Votes: 39 12.8%
  • 40% faster than 5870

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • 50% faster than 5870

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 60% faster than 5870

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70% faster than 5870

• 80% faster than 5870

• 90% faster than 5870

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Twice as fast as a 5870

Votes: 13 4.3%

• Total voters

BlueStorm

Gawd
Of course there's no way to know this for sure, but I'm interested in what people are expecting from the GTX 480 :D

Vote in the poll above, and comment on why you feel that way in the thread!

No flaming/trolling please.. this is for fun. It will be interesting to see the vote distribution.

Last edited:
based on their Far Cry 2 benchmark, I say its about the same speed, since I have about the same fps while the game is heavily nVidia flavor...

2x faster..

this poll is useless.

No its not.. some people have expectations which determine their overall happiness with the GPU when results get released. I want to take a snapshot to see what people think beforehand to see if NVIDIA underdelivers or beats expectations.

I think it'll be about 20% faster'ish in games not completely optimized for ATI. That's mostly just based on my own thinking that it would be unacceptable for Nvidia to release something slower, and that most rumors put it above the 5870 by a slight margin.

I also expect ATI will announce another single-GPU card within a month of the Fermi release to try to take back the lead, or at least put it equal with the GTX480.

40% faster at least.

I'm sure in some specific titles we will see outright domination.

His CPU has a neuronet processor... a learning computer

I voted twice as fast because there wasn't an option for 3x

Its going to be around the same or slower if they can't get their flag ship out.

Just guessing at least 10%, or like other people said they probably wouldn't be releasing it. Or who the heck knows, really. I am just glad they are pushing something out, been waiting to see what they have even if it's not totally mind blowing it's still something.

10% faster than 5870 in some games and $200 more expensive. Won't stop the fanboys lining up and forking out the extra coin for it though.

It is not designed for fanboys. If it is top of the line then it will cost a top of the line premium like any other thing you can purchase in this world.

On average, I would say no more than 10% faster, sure they'll milk synthetic benchmarks which just stress tesselation only and spin it to make the card look faster, but across a broad selection of actual real world games I don't think it's going to be reliably more than 10% faster.

Just a guesstimate based on the information leaked so far.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the 480 will average about 20%, depending on game, while the 470 will trade blows with the 5870. Nvidia still won't have an answer for the 5970 for sometime, as i don't see them being able to release a dual GPU card any time soon due to thermal concerns and yield issues. Hell, even the 480 is expected to be a P.E.(Press Edition or Phantom Edition).

I voted 30% faster overall, but am afraid that it will be only 20% according to the rumors.

It seems logical for NV to make it 30% in order to make sure that it can stay on top of ATI's new beefed-up 5870 (the 5890).

Seeing how ATI refuses to allow 3rd-party manuf's to pre-overclock the 5870 past 870 MHz, which is a mere 20MHz overclock, after ATI allowed them to overclock 4890's all the way to 1GHz, I'm thinking that ATI wants to make sure that it will not in any way soften the impact of upcoming 5890's that should be released at 900MHz to 1GHz.

Last edited:
It is not designed for fanboys. If it is top of the line then it will cost a top of the line premium like any other thing you can purchase in this world.

Even still, when ATI releases their refresh that then beats the 480 by ~%10 for the same price or even a little cheaper, you can guarantee those fermis will still be selling

I have a feeling the 480 will average about 20%, depending on game, while the 470 will trade blows with the 5870. Nvidia still won't have an answer for the 5970 for sometime, as i don't see them being able to release a dual GPU card any time soon due to thermal concerns and yield issues. Hell, even the 480 is expected to be a P.E.(Press Edition or Phantom Edition).

I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think they ever will have a faster card than the 5970 until the PCI-E specs are updated to allow more than 300W power draw.

The 5970 is basically 2 lots of 5870 hardware on one board but the GPUs and memory are underclocked simply to bring the power usage down to 300W.

With a hard limit of 300W per card we've pretty much already maxed performance, the only way to get more is to have a more efficient architecture (processing performance per Watt) the only real gains I can see there is Crossfire/SLI scalability, both scale pretty well already to be honest.

Going by current rumours the Fermi chips are too large and need more voltage through them to keep them stable than the ATI counterparts, so even if they throw enough hardware on to one card to draw all 300W like the 5970 does, because of a (speculative) lower performance to Watt ratio they'll struggle to match/beat it.

Again, I'm just speculating, It will be interesting to see what they do.

I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think they ever will have a faster card than the 5970 until the PCI-E specs are updated to allow more than 300W power draw.

You are waaay off. Look at the 4890 vs. 5870. The 5870 uses only 5w more under load but is much, much faster. Its also like 50w less under load than the GTX 285. (according to [H]: http://hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5870_video_card_review/12 )

The 5970 also has a lot of wasted power that isn't due to just the chip. There is double the RAM for no gain and more circuitry in general. A single chip with 5970 performance on the 40nm process would very likely use less overall power than the 5970.

I'll go with ~even, but ranging from -20% - +80% depending on the 'application'. Adding a wide range of games and realworld scenarios into the mix will drop the average significantly. So in my scenario, there will have to be a majority of gaming benchmarks where ferbi will have to be slower!

~ 5 to 10% faster than a stock 5870, ~ 5 to 10% slower than a Gigabyte 5870 SOC or MSI 5870 Lightning.

Price is anyone's guess because the number of cards available will be so small, making a profit may not be at the top of the pricing list. Trying to keep the fanboys on board until fall, when the next batch becomes available, and throwing a wrench into AMD's pricing might be.

"Fermi" is two cards.

The 470 will be less than a 5870
The 480 will be more than the 5870

And the 5850 will be the winner because it has better price/performance than all of them. :D

it depends, you should of asked how fast is Fermi going to be in dx11 compared to 5870.

dx9 benchmarks are irrevelent.

I went for 10% faster.

The 10.3 Catalyst drivers have quite a crazy DX11 improvement. Dirt2 is about 15-20% faster and people on Guru3D were suggesting Stalker showed similar improvement over the 10.2 drivers.

I think any headway Fermi thinks it's getting in DX11 will be largely eaten away by ATI driver maturity the time Fermi actually arrives.

Best case is 30-40% given that 2x GTX 285 is 1.4x HD 5870. So realistically 20-30%.

Back