How fast do power supplies degrade?

If it's a good quality one, negligible. Poor quality ones on the other hand... then again, you're on [H], you should know which ones to avoid ;)

No clue, but I've been on my Corsair 620HX for 4 years now. It's seen 3 upgrades, each requiring more and more power and still holding strong.

It all depends on the capacitors. I had very old Antecs where some Fuhjyyu capacitors bulged in just 2 years, one which drove an average load of just 60W, while I have a vintage 1999 Delta full of Japanese capacitors that still works fine, and 2-3 years ago several caps sampled from it showed correct capacitance values and low ESR.

If you were to run a "decent" quality, properly cooled unit with 85°C capacitors, sleeve bearing fan, etc. for 24/7, it would probably last 2.5 years. A high quality, properly cooled unit with 105°C capacitors and ball bearing fan running non-stop, 24/7 could last as long as 10 years.

There are a lot of unexpected failures that can happen that nobody can account for, but under normal use, the fan is going to die before anything else. If your PSU has LED's in it and they start going out, you know you're probably getting close to that PSU's EOL. ;)

Back