How far would a normal wireless router reach?

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
How far do you guys think a wireless router would reach? My g/f might be moving into my apartment complex (Across the street from me). I was wondering if I could hook her up with a free internet connection :D. I could always get an access point, but I'd rather go without that if possible.

in the open, depending on the router, i would say no more than 500 feet. You might be able to do that through a few walls though, it really depends on the router specs and you wireless card specs.

Most SOHO wireless routers don't have that much range due to poor frequency and interference from phones, walls, etc. So adding a better antenna could solve the problem.

You could mount a high gain outdoor antenna outside of your window and hook it up to a compatible wireless router for better reception.

Well technically your router is the access point, are you talking about setting up another wireless extender?

It will really depend on the equipment, other signals in the frequency range, material of walls and wiring within the walls. 500 feet is really pushing it for reliable connection, I'd say no more then 350feet for most consumer grade AP.

Back