• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How far behind am I?

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
3,180
I currently run the rig in my sig.

Anyone know of any benchmarks that compare my CPU to the C2D's and most importantly the new i7's?

I have been very tempted to pull the trigger on some C2D stuff but have decided to wait till end of January and shoot for an i7 rig.

Thoughts? :D
 
A single core P4 at 3.2?
Under the horizon by quite a bit.
$500 would get you a C2Q build with GPU that would be a "noticeable" upgrade, $1100 gets you i7/P6T/4GB/280GTX(or a 4850x2) that would flat out laugh at that machine.

Either could be eligible for the 30% cash back if you bought from mwave through ebay.
 
Looks like from the specs in your sig you could probably just get a cheap C2D or C2Q motherboard+CPU combo and use all of the rest of your existing parts for a fairly cheap and effective upgrade.
 
I currently run the rig in my sig.

Anyone know of any benchmarks that compare my CPU to the C2D's and most importantly the new i7's?

I have been very tempted to pull the trigger on some C2D stuff but have decided to wait till end of January and shoot for an i7 rig.

Thoughts? :D

If money is no object, go for the i7.
 
For about $250 you can get a E7200 and decent mobo and have a 3.6~4GHz C2D system....
I have the same vide card, and I still kick a$$ in CoD4 and 1280x1024... :)
 
You can go to tomshardware and check their cpu charts. The newest one doesn't seem to include the P4 line anymore though. The only problem with these charts is that the motherboard is not the same for all processors compared. However, it should be enough to gauge the performance gap between your P4 and a C2D.

Edit:
Thought I would include a quick comparison...
xvid endcoding in seconds:
196s P4 560 @3.6GHz
179s E4300 @1.8GHz
 
I guess I have to count my C2D based laptop but my S478 P4 at 2.88 is still crunching for F@H. It was my main rig up until June of this year. You may be a ways behind the times but my 9600XT had it's cooling fan die about 4 years ago and it still ran the last time I had a real OS on it. I'd say you could do with an upgrade any time lol.
 
I say c2q.

Avoid first gen new platforms (e.g: i7), unless you like to bleed on the bleeding edge.

Driver support is not mature as say, p35 platform. On top of it, you pay top $ to bleed.
 
I say c2q.

Avoid first gen new platforms (e.g: i7), unless you like to bleed on the bleeding edge.

Driver support is not mature as say, p35 platform. On top of it, you pay top $ to bleed.

I agree with you 100%. I really want to get an i7 just for the speed increase in video encoding but just for CPU/Memory/Mobo would cost me ~$850.

My specs are in my sig--it will have to do.
 
lol
I bet you could go MSI X58, i7 920, and 6GB for less than $150 net after selling your parts. Its a good amount of outlay, but your parts are decent, and live 30% is still active AFAIK.
 
If you use the 25% off cashback you can easily get a 920/x58/6gb/gtx260 for under 1000 bucks. Although i suspect you'd probably want to upgrade your power supply also, so throw in another 75 bucks for a good 750 watt. After cashback (2 out of 3 instant) my i7 board/chip/memory cost me 700 bucks.
 
lol
I bet you could go MSI X58, i7 920, and 6GB for less than $150 net after selling your parts. Its a good amount of outlay, but your parts are decent, and live 30% is still active AFAIK.

Me? Or the OP?
 
Back
Top