how exactly does a kvm with network/ ip support work

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
can someone school me on how exactly does kvm with network ip support work? thanks in advance

you give the KVM an IP address so you can always connect to it
that way you can see everything on the computer as if you were standing there - you don't have to wait for the computer to boot in order to connect to it
the KVM has the IP address and it is directly connected to the machines via cables... you connect to the KVM not the machines

make sense?

you give the KVM an IP address so you can always connect to it
that way you can see everything on the computer as if you were standing there - you don't have to wait for the computer to boot in order to connect to it
the KVM has the IP address and it is directly connected to the machines via cables... you connect to the KVM not the machines

make sense?

thanks it does

will all the kvm ports needs to be assigned 1 ip to access each machines or will multiple ips need to be assigned to each ip kvm ports to access each machines?

only the kvm box gets an ip, the kvm handles all the pc connections using cat5 to kvm dongles

thanks guys very informative so 1 ip to the ip kvm switch to access all the connections
That's usually a safe assumption, but it's not a hard and fast rule. In most of the IPKVMs I've worked on, it's a single IP per KVM ( or even KVM stack ). But some of the equipment I worked on a while ago allowed you to assign each attached system it's own IP to access the KVM.

Likewise, you will access the KVM via web browser....usually. However, there are several brands out there that have their own client app that has to be installed on the administrative workstation ( which is always fun, especially when it's written in Java...by what I assume are first year programmers ).

The core concept to understand with IPKVMs is that the local console of the attached systems are made available to the network...somehow. Everything else is a variable related to the brand and model of device.

That's usually a safe assumption, but it's not a hard and fast rule. In most of the IPKVMs I've worked on, it's a single IP per KVM ( or even KVM stack ). But some of the equipment I worked on a while ago allowed you to assign each attached system it's own IP to access the KVM.

Likewise, you will access the KVM via web browser....usually. However, there are several brands out there that have their own client app that has to be installed on the administrative workstation ( which is always fun, especially when it's written in Java...by what I assume are first year programmers ).

The core concept to understand with IPKVMs is that the local console of the attached systems are made available to the network...somehow. Everything else is a variable related to the brand and model of device.

thanks

So do you guys mean,

A device like this, that you web-browsser into.

dsr2020_b_6.jpg

and each physical machine gets one of these :

avocent-dsr-server-interface-module-for-vga-ps2.jpg

correct and I believe you can either enter the settings with in the access of a browser or you have to download one of the kvm manager client software on your computer

You can get some Avocent models for like 50$ from ebay for 16 computers but the remote console sw isn't free :E
There seems to be HP branded one's for 125$ and they seem to have HPs own management software.

You can get some Avocent models for like 50$ from ebay for 16 computers but the remote console sw isn't free :E
There seems to be HP branded one's for 125$ and they seem to have HPs own management software.

ahem :) torrent...

I am crazy about the new IP KVM switches, that also give you remote power control.

The Avocent software is very expensive. I made the mistake of buying an Avocent switch off eBay only to realize it doesn't have a builtin HTTP server and you need their software to control it over IP. I've searched everywhere for a copy of the software and haven't found a thing.

So it's a similar concept to IPMI?
(as far as benefits to the user?)

Sorta, IPMI can be more than just KVM control. That's all this is, Web/client based direct KVM access. The biggest benefit? You don't have to stand in the 60 degree server room under the vent for very long. You can do direct KVM control from your desk :D

So it's a similar concept to IPMI?
(as far as benefits to the user?)

Main difference is the performance. IP KVMs have much better video performance than the IPMI. Personally I prefer the Smart 216IP from Minicom who has a great mouse synchronization also on my linux.

Back