How exactly do you attach fasteners to thin sheet metal?

janas19

[H]ard|Gawd
For wood I just use wood screws. Thicker metal I would tap out the bolt hole. But I'm just wondering how you're supposed to attach screws to very thin metal?

Am I just stupid? It's such a simple thing, yet I'm confused.

Last edited:
*Edit*

Let me make this much more specific and clearer. Rephrase the original question:

What is the thinnest standard metal sheet that can be tapped for threads? And thinner than that, what's the standard fastening method - rivets, pins, or just brazing on individual standoffs?

Hmmm

Rivets are generally used but, it would help greatly if you said what you're trying to do.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wra18th has covered the professional way to accomplish the task. I would do it that way myself.

Another way to do it would be to drill hole, rough up backside of metal and a nut, then epoxy the nut to the sheet. Use a countersunk screw to attach. Not as professional, but cheaper if only doing a couple.

PEM self-clinching nuts can also be used. Similar to the nutserts. Tapping 1mm sheet metal can also be done.

Wow, great info guys. I love it! Those self clinching nuts are SWEET!

Magnus, I'm making some custom enclosures and custom mounting brackets without access to any CNC tools or the like. I need to be able to fasten stuff to my case cheap and effectively.

Back