How efficient should an external battery pack be?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So i bought a 6000mah external battery pack, I have droid maxx (3500mah battery) and note 2 (3100mah battery). I know batteries aren't 100% efficient, but at best I am getting only 1 complete charge and about 10% of a second charge out of the battery pack on both my phones, so roughly 4000mah if we round up. Does this seem right for an external battery pack?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWKK6PY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the battery pack I got, it has decent reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
you have to consider that the phone is using power as it charges up.

None of those external battery banks are efficient. They will give you some extended life but outside of immediate needs I wouldn't count on them too much.

I use an Anker 10k for emergency purposes in my car, after 3 days sitting it will charge my Note3 to full and my wife's 5S to full, then read almost dead. (that's only 6k).

I own the same exact backup battery and it will charge my G Pad tablet and my Moto G to 80%. Personally I'm super impressed with the performance.

There is some marketing trickery here. The actual battery inside those packs are 3.7V Lithium Ion batteries. I have taken apart some of the Chinese ones and they have all been 3.7V. The millamp-hour rating are for that voltage. Their is a small circuit in there that converts the 3.7VDC to 5.0VDC. That conversion is not perfect and the side effect is that the milliamp hours are lowered at the higher voltage draw.

There is also the issue (more so with Chinese products) that the companies just flat lie about the capacity. Not enough people care. And the price is too good.

I have a 6000mah pack I use frequently at work, it will charge my S3 from completely dead once then 50% after it dies again. Works out well for me.

Back