• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How easy to OC E8400?

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
1,232
I was reading a bit at the pinned thread up top and it seemed quite complicated.
I have never Oc'ed before.
I have updated the BIOS of my mobo to its latests version and here are my stats and temps:

Specs"

specsxf9.jpg



Idle and Full Load Temps (Using XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler ):

33240629vl5.jpg


100ky5.jpg




How much Ocing will I be able to do on this chip?
 
the general consensus is that those chips oc very easily with little extra volt if any. only thing i would be worried about is your temps...your idle seems VERY high especially since you have speedstep enabled. i would tackle that first...shoot for idle temps around 30c. you have a good cooler so try reseating and new TIM. go to arctic silvers website for instructions on how to apply. good luck
 
I might do the artic silver thermal paste. But I need to take the whole computer apart, as its easier to just doing with the mobo out of the case.
If I were to take the whole thing apart do I need to reformat the HD once I put everything back together?
 
lol, no, you are replacing the thermal paste not the motherboard / hard drive.
Remove the heatsink from the top of the CPU, clean the heatsink / CPU.
Apply paste and refit.

Be very careful with arctic silver, it is conductive at high frequencies the computer uses.
If you get any stuck between a chips legs, its probably game over, you wont be able to clean it well enough to fix.
I use MX-2 paste as it is as good but not conductive.
 
Back
Top