How durable are SD cards...?

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a laptop with and SD reader and my new desktop I'm building will have a built-in card-reader. I'm just curious, if I bought a 1 GB SD to work as a go-between/backup for my lappy and my desktop for college, probably incuring daily read-write cycles, would this type of memory tolerate that for long?

I believe so. I have a 1GB SD card that I take in and out of my PDA all the time. I put files, video and music on it. I've had it for just over 6 months and I havn't had any problems yet.

Unless you want to go for a USB flash drive it's a good solution. I wish that more computers had SD card slots so we could just use that but the USB flash drives seem to be a better fit for what you want to do since if you ever need to you can plug them into virtually any computer around these days. They end up being more versatile in the end.

The bonus though is that if you have a 1GB SD card and a digital camera you can dump your stuff off for the day and shoot a TON of pics. :);)

I just got a little SD-USB adapter for a grad gift from my Pastor. It was funny - I'd been carrying one around EXACTLY like it at school for a few weeks, but first it lost the plastic casing, and eventually died when being in my pocket unprotected stressed it too much. So I'm sitting there wondering which one of my friends knew about this and would get it for me, and it ends up being my Pastor. Go figure. God really does work in mysterious ways.

That out of the way, it's not so much reads I'm concerned with as writes...yes, you use yours every day, but I'm guessing that you spend a lot more time listening to/watching the multimedia you put on the card than writing it. What I would essentially do is sync the My Documents folder of both computers to this card. That means that any time I work on a word document or take notes that that's another write cycle for the card. Is flash memory of any kind good for this application?

Yea. I can't immagine that an SD card's flash memory would be any or too different than what they have in the USB flash drives.

I mean there are people running around snapping pictures on them day in and day out too.

If you already have the adapater it sounds like a great idea to me man.

Well it depends on what you mean by "sync".

If you use one computer and then before using the other one sync then you could just copy the .pst file from computer to computer.

You could make a two batch files on your SD card to copy to the card and from the card. So you just double click the file to copy to the card (and overwrite automatically of course) and then pop it in the other computer and double click the other file to copy from the card to the computer.

I'm pretty sure that would work. I havn't come accross any software specifically that would do this other than by using a PDA which may or may not work either.

Problem is, my .pst is huge with several years worth of email. 1 GB of SD is big, but it's not unlimited. Is there a way I can archive all my old stuff to another .pst, one that I won't sync, yet still be able to see it in Outlook?

try getting rid of the archived attachments? use gmail?

only way i see a year of email using 1gb is if you get endless spam. :eek:

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Problem is, my .pst is huge with several years worth of email. 1 GB of SD is big, but it's not unlimited. Is there a way I can archive all my old stuff to another .pst, one that I won't sync, yet still be able to see it in Outlook?

Yes. You can archive the old stuff. Assuming you are using Outlook 2003 here is one way to do it:
1. Click file->Archive->personal folders->select how far back you want to archive by selecting the date
2. Now click browse and choose a safe location to save the archive (it will be another .pst file).

That's pretty much it if I recall. After the process is complete your main .pst file will be much smaller and the archive files will be available from your folder listing on the left side of Outlook.

If you don't quite understand what I am describing here do a search in the help for archiving. I'm sure there will be plenty of information about it there.

Back