• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How dumb is this idea?

JeffyB

n00b
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
21
RAM is cheap.
I had a bit of extra cash.
Windows 8 has Client Hyper-V.
So, being the incredible genius I am, I maxed out the memory on my PC, to 32G.

My plan (such as it is) is to run several VMs (Dev, tinkering, etc) under hyper-v.
They will all have the same base VHD, and will be running differencing disks.
I will load The Base VHD onto a RAM drive, and the differencing disks will live on my SSD.

Is this an absolutely stupid idea?
My thinking is that the i7 will have cores to spare, I can allocate 8G for the RAM drive, 4G each to 4 different VMs, and still have 8G for the base system.

Is this full of fail?
 
Not at all. In fact that is one of the reasons I will be upgrading to Win8 from Win7. Then I can play around with different Operating Systems without having to run a multiboot system for my main system.
 
It's only stupid if you don't have an UPS that allows you an orderly shutdown in case of a power failure and/or protects you from power "flickers" that may restart your PC.
 
I'm pretty sure thousands of people do exactly this on a daily basis. Nothing particularly stupid (or genius) about it. Perhaps someday you'll grow up into a real hypervisor on real hardware, but you might not need that :D.
 
UPS: Check.

As for the "real" hypervisor? Doubtful. :p This is pretty much just to play with / make my life a little easier... I currently don't see my career path headed in that direction but I've been known to be wrong before...
 
Its not a bad idea at all though windows 8 isn't exactly a dream boat from some perspectives.. I actually built an All in One gaming, networking, and (soon to be storage) system. I was using ESXI though which makes it a little more difficult.. Don't get a intel proc with the K designation. The K designation says that it doesn't have any virtual stuff attached unless you get the one with X(1k dollars) which does..
 
Back
Top