How does your business handle software updates?

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
I'm not talking about windows updates, for that we have a WSUS server. I'm mostly talking about "other" programs. The types of programs that many people have on their PCs, but don't really get updated automatically.

Quicktime?
Flash?
Java?
Adobe?

Sure, some of these programs (Adobe/Java) have built-in automatic updates. But they aren't always accepted by the user who's getting the popup notifying them to upgrade. Often times, the user may just ignore or click past it. Some programs don't have any real way to update them, without doing it manually (Quicktime).

Are the exploits/holes in this software something to worry about? How do you keep them up to date, or do you even bother?

Just curious.

Our Novell network has a software inventory installed on all Machines, and we can query to check what software versions people have, but its not always foolproof, and it doesn't offer us anything in the way of upgrading them. We still need to manually do each PC.

Is there any software in existance that helps maintain/monitor/upgrade these types of things?

We use Altiris Deployment Console and SVS. When a new software version comes out, we create a new package, create a job to switch the old one off, and create a job to deploy the new one.

www.altiris.com/svs

I may have to look into something like that. Right now I do everything manually because it's a new job, and that's how the guy before me did it. He never even had an re-install image built. The only thing saving me is that it's a small company.

I have used SMS and Group policy. I can't remember if Netware had something like that built in. I have head about Symantec Patch Manager and IBM Tivoli (sp?) and they are much like SMS. They might be worth evaluating. The other factor is cost. These software packages are expensive. :( But sometimes they are needed. Double Edged Sword I guess.

Hope this helps.

How difficult is it to set up SMS? I'm only managing about 35 machines.

Another vote for SMS. Thats what I used at the hospital I used to work at (couple thousand desktops). Use the SMS installer to create a package on a reference workstation then simply tell SMS to push it it out based on many definable factors, such as by OS, user, user group, when to install, options such as silent install, promtped install, forced reboot after install, etc..

That's another good question about SMS...if I could push out packages specifically for each user.

Well you would need the software first. Obviously since it's a MS product it will only really work on a MS network. Install is fairly easy, configuring everything can be a bit more of a challenge. I'd personally suggest reading an SMS study guide if you have never dealt with it before.

With only 35 boxes I'd personally look at some sort of installation repackager like Installsheild and simply add the updates through logon scripts when needed. A lot of program updates also offer administrative installl options available via command line install switches to make the update unattended, etc. Need to find that info specific from each software company though.

We use Radia (HP makes it), crappy and slow !!!

Previous job used SMS, and it worked great, if you can try it, esp with only 35 machines.
When you get a better job with 3500 machines, your golden!

We mostly use group policy. It's easiest when it comes with an MSI. Update the group policy with the new MSI and it's installed on next reboot. Works pretty well (when an MSI is available).

We use FreeNX as an application server.

We only need to keep our application servers updated, and that is it.

if you have ZenWorks then check out the Novell Application Launcher as a software deployment option.

Frobozz said:
if you have ZenWorks then check out the Novell Application Launcher as a software deployment option.

We do use NAL at times, but some applications are harder to update using it.

Much of our software deployment is through NAL though.

We use Altiris Deployment Console and SVS. When a new software version comes out, we create a new package, create a job to switch the old one off, and create a job to deploy the new one.

www.altiris.com/svs

I've played with the demo version of this, and I've gotta say its really cool. I like it!

da sponge said:
We mostly use group policy. It's easiest when it comes with an MSI. Update the group policy with the new MSI and it's installed on next reboot. Works pretty well (when an MSI is available).

Teh 2k and 2k3 server Cd's come with with an WinstallLE which you can use to repacked most things into an MSI. MS includes it to make it easier to deploy more things using group policy. In a small environment where no one wants to spend any money on software distribution, it helps a lot.

Back