How does upgrade version work?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
How exactly will an upgrade from xp to vista work? I'm looking at purchasing a copy of mce 2005 which has an upgrade "coupon" to get a free copy of home premium. However, I'm confused about the following:

-Does the upgrade conserve all my files from xp, and just upgrades the o/s?
-Does vista continue using the same drivers I had installed in xp?
-If in the future I want a fresh install of Vista, do I first have to install xp and then install vista on top of that?
-Is there any disadvantage to going about the upgrade to vista in this way, as opposed to having a full fledged copy of vista?

:confused: :confused:

You're new to the search feature, aren't you? ;)

Unless you're buying a new computer as well, you won't be able to use that upgrade coupon.

According to the local pc company, we don't need to purchase a new pc, or even any hardware...

I know I know, search is my friend :rolleyes:

There has been some debate about this, and unfortunately, the verbage isn't very clear. I believe in Gatticus's thread, someone had a link, but I'll have to look for it.

I beleive ALL these parts vendors are misrepresenting the free upgrade coupon, According to MIKE @ MS you DO have to purchase a new pc just like the coupon says. He stated that there had been NUMEROUS calls about this issue. I.myself have 5 e-mails, live chats ,and phone calls into Newegg, and was ASSURED, that I didn't have to buy a new pc, just some oem hardware.HOWEVER, trying to redeem the coupon, has been an exercise in futility, because at first, the upgrade site didn't even include MCE2005 in the OS list. As of Today, 11/21, it now does, but when I went to redeem MY coupon, it says the coupon is INVALID. I am going to aggressively persue this, not only for myself, but for a STRAIGHT answer to the DIY community. http.upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista is the redemption website. If you start to fill out the info, a serial# and Model name is listed there. I REALLY hope I'm WRONG, but it doesn't look that way, especially after I spent an hour on the phone, with Mike from Microsoft. www.microsoft.com/oem has a copy of the system builders license thats on the box. Time will tell

BIGDADDY51 said:
HOWEVER, trying to redeem the coupon, has been an exercise in futility, because at first, the upgrade site didn't even include MCE2005 in the OS list. As of Today, 11/21, it now does, but when I went to redeem MY coupon, it says the coupon is INVALID. I am going to aggressively persue this, not only for myself, but for a STRAIGHT answer to the DIY community. http.upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista is the redemption website. If you start to fill out the info, a serial# and Model name is listed there. Ill

Have you contacted NewEgg since you spoke with Mike from MS? If NewEgg and other vendors are misrepresenting these coupons, they will HAVE to provide upgrades out of their own pockets to avoid lawsuits since they have been advertising these coupons like crazy.

Oooska said:
Have you contacted NewEgg since you spoke with Mike from MS? If NewEgg and other vendors are misrepresenting these coupons, they will HAVE to provide upgrades out of their own pockets to avoid lawsuits since they have been advertising these coupons like crazy.
They are also covering thier butts, with examples, though not very good ones, of the coupon itself, and a picture of the box with the System builders license on it, and links to the FAQ section, where it states you need to buy a new pc.I have contacted Newegg numerous times, including today, where I was told they would have an answer in 24-48 hours, and have talked to Newegg reps at length, about the coupon and its wording.I have at least 5 E-mails from Newegg, assuring me that a new pc purchase wasn't necessary. Look over the FAQ on Vista,at the egg, and you will see a version of double speak like never before seen. I not sure ANYBODY at MS knows whats going on with this, but Mike seemed to be positive that DIYS weren't eligible.Clubits ad is a little braver, but still mentions that "new pc" in the wording.On close examination of the coupon itself ,there are places that clearly state that a receipt for a new pc is part of the submission, and that there are NO exceptions .All I know, is that I intend to get my upgrade from SOMEBODY, and that somebody may well be Newegg. They need to be held responsible for thier employees that said no new pc was necessary for the nominal priced upgrade. 5 TIMES! in writing.

Well I just submitted my info to the Microsoft website and everything went through and I got a confirmation number. I received an email that said I still needed to send my receipt and the redemption form into one of their centers to complete the process. Not sure what that will bring... There still isn't any clarification of what is needed on Newegg.

RBremen said:
Well I just submitted my info to the Microsoft website and everything went through and I got a confirmation number. I received an email that send I still needed to send my receipt and the redemption form into one of their centers to complete the process. Not sure what that will bring... There still isn't any clarification of what is needed on Newegg.

What did you buy to get the coupon????
What does it allow you to upgrade to???

magoo said:
What did you buy to get the coupon????
What does it allow you to upgrade to???
What the upgrade is,depends on what you buy. MCE=Vista Home Premium, XP PRO =Vista Business. The coupon comes inside the box of OEM software that is especialy marked with the Upgrade coupon. There's also an upgrade offering for XP home ,ut it only upgrades to Vista basic,and there's more cost. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon.

Back