How does this website know my address?

hedron

Limp Gawd
http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/email.aspx

On a lark, I googled my alternate email address and my old address pops up. This email was supposed to be for anonymous internet accounts. But I guess it isn't so anonymous. There's some opt out sheet that I can mail in there to have them remove it, but I'd trust that as much as those opt-out spammers. I can't figure out how this website got my information, much less tied it to this email address.

The email address is the first email address I ever had. It's from 1996. I never really used other than, what I thought was, anonymous posting.

Maybe you forgot once or twice and used your anon email address in conjunction with your real data?

welcome to the internet

oh right, I'm a tin foil hat crazy...never mind

Ironically my main email shows 4 entries for people that are not me and the email I used to use about 15 years ago shows my mother's home address and my mother's name..

I'm thinking this is a bogus method of harvesting legit email addresses, preying on the fear of individuals... I tried 3 different addresses that I use for throwaway accounts and 1 show up associated to someone 10 states away and the other 2 weren't found.

Holy shit! I can get more info when email addresses then when names?
Scary as hell!

Heh my online accounts alias email doesn't trace back to me

Nor does my personal IRL email.

Maybe you forgot once or twice and used your anon email address in conjunction with your real data?

Come to think of it, I think I had signed up at monster.com with it. Those job listing websites sell your information to everyone. Pure scum, if you ask me. My current email address is inundated with spam thanks to monster and careerbuilders.

I think it just looks at the name in the email, but even then most of the info is wrong anyway. I was thinking maybe it looks at the whois of the domain but I don't even think it does that.

Back