• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How Does this Look / Sound

Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
751
Looking to pick up a pair of HD-650's and a Gilmore Lite amp, how would this sound for the price? Can better be had? An upgrade anywhere or something to add? Currently i have an X-Fi platinum sound card and some HD-555's, i got CMSS-3D and the 24Bit Crystalizer and all that crap turned off as it seems to make stuff sound worse.
 
Sennhiesers are always great.

Not sure about the amp (have you used an amp before? If not they do make a good difference, I think on headphones like they 650's they would be more or less essential to properly drive them so they don't sound compressed and flat)

I know there are people who make amps specifically designed to drive specific headphones (like the 650's) but I dont know how well they would compare with the amp you are considering nor do I remember their contact info.

I don't think X-Fi's are that good for sound fidelity IMO. I don't even think they're that good for gaming

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926

Just look at this thread

I have never heard of all the "crap" features you mention but on a soundcard/system that is anything but mediocre you shouldn't have any extrernal effects or filters or even EQ to alter the original sound.


What is the primary purpose of the headphones BTW? More for gaming or for music and stuff?
 
I think from the reviews and comments that I've seen, the Lite pairs up well with the HD650.
 
Gonna be using it for everything, i watch movies, listen to music and play games all on my computer. i got a good deal on the X-Fi platinum for under $100 and it has the 1/4 jack on the front for my HD-555's so i just bought it, i hear quality-wise it's about on par with the EMU-0404 since creative bought EMU then stripped what they wanted and put it on their cards, would somthing by M-Audio be better quality wise? Would i notice the difference? Would it still work in games with EAX turned off? ( i hate EAX anyway it makes it sound muffled )
 
The Revo 5.1 supports EAX 2, I believe, although I don't really use it. It also has a half-decent integrated amp (from the point of view of my ears, which may be lacking in experience), but I don't think you would benefit from switching from X-fi to Revo or AP192. I'd suggest your next step up for the source be a dedicated DAC.
 
Back
Top