How does this look so far?

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
This is for a system that will run multiple VSTi synths, some of them load 500MB at a time for patches. VSTi synths all run as seperate threads (its allready much better with hyperthreading) i think with NCQ and 3 GB RAM instead of 1GB may help with a bit of delay i get in the sound when i load the big synths/samples . not to mention the drives are faster than what i currently have (barracuda 4s)

might be good for folding for the [H]orde when i just need it to keep my house warm :)

VSTi system

NCCH-DL 875P DUAL Xeon Platform
2x xeon 2.8 800fsb 1mb cache min "E0" stepping
Promise SATAII150 TX4 Storage controller SATA-150 150 MBps PCI / 66 MHz (because it has NCQ)
2x 1GB RAM DDR400
2x 512 RAM DDR400
ATI 9800 DDR2 256 (from current sys). upgrade current one to something else
ADAT out audio card card. (m audio) for creamware A16 ADAT i/o box
watercool blocks for 2x xeon and vid card

boot drive drive 0 WD raptor 74 gb?
drive 1 200 gb sata seagate "7200.8"
drive 2 300 or 400 gb sata seagate "7200.8"
dvd 2 layer burner PATA
no RAID

if possible it will be put in the bottom one of these (they are the same case one is modded)
6.jpg

if i can make it fit. otherwise i will find a new 4u case to put it in. it will be watercooled (cpus and video card) but the main guts of the watercooling will be external.

i want it to be pretty quiet. (PSU is hard choice esp with SSI ones)

if there are any better choices for similar parts/price please let me know i am especially worried about "promise" controller i never trusted promise..but they must be better now or they would have changed there name (datsun = nissan!) :).

For dealing with files that large, this is one of the few instances where raid 0 would definately help you out. Just...don't use it for storage.

how much of an improvement would it really be, has there ever been any tests for this? like do video editors use raid0 for working files and really notice a difference. because the disc drives are a huge bottleneck and any way to improve on it would be great.

I know the speed increases for multiple Raptors so it might translate in some way for 7200 drivers, don't see why it wouldnt, they're only %'age values.

1 drive = 0%
2 drives = 36%
3 drives = 44%
4 drives = 48%

You would definately see a good improvment in saving and loading times, but don't use it for storage like has been said. If you want mega integrity get 3x200gb drivers and run a raid 5, thatll sort out the problems :). Just remember though, back up every day if your on raid 0!

Back