How does "Power" setting in Config in BIOS work?

DiaNo

n00b
Have a laptop, Lenovo T540p business. I want to connect a 24" monitor, keyboard & mouse to it and use it as a desktop. The power on/off button is under the cover. Very inconvenient every time to start up the computer. There is a video on YouTube showing:
1.No need to press the power on/off button.
2.Set:BIOS-Config-Power-Power on with AC attach-Enabled = computer is started when AC power is connected, computer is power off if AC is disconnected.
I have tried on my laptop, yes the computer is power on, but the computer is not started or booted. Maybe there is something else I do not know and therefore do not get the computer started.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS TRICK & SHARE THE SECRET, PLEASE?

Thank you very much!
Diano

the way ive seen it work on dells is that if that setting is enabled it will only turn on if the unit is off and unplugged, then when you plug it in it powers up and boots. not sure if that is how it is supposed to work on lenovos though. see if it has a wake on usb option, then you should be able to power it up with a keyboard or mouse button press. otherwise, you could go into windows power setting and change "when lid closed" to "do nothing" and then it is always on, or will wake from sleep with mouse/keyboard movement.

the way ive seen it work on dells is that if that setting is enabled it will only turn on if the unit is off and unplugged, then when you plug it in it powers up and boots. "see if it has a wake on usb option, then you should be able to power it up with a keyboard or mouse button press. otherwise, you could go into windows power setting and change "when lid closed" to "do nothing" and then it is always on, or will wake from sleep with mouse/keyboard movement.
Thank you.
"... when you plug it in it powers up and boots..."
This sounds what it should be. But I tried on my Lenovo T540p, it turned on only, not boot.
"not sure if that is how it is supposed to work on lenovos though."
The demonstration of that tutorial on YouTube uses Lenovo Thinkpad, same as my Lenovo.
Does it have anything to do with the battery? The battery on my Lenovo is unhealthy, weak, can not be fully charged.
"see if it has a wake on usb option, then you should be able to power it up with a keyboard or mouse button press."
Will you please explain more and give some details on this method? I am not good at computers.
Really appreciate your goodwill trying to help me.
Thank you again.
Diano

Thank you.
"... when you plug it in it powers up and boots..."
This sounds what it should be. But I tried on my Lenovo T540p, it turned on only, not boot.
"not sure if that is how it is supposed to work on lenovos though."
The demonstration of that tutorial on YouTube uses Lenovo Thinkpad, same as my Lenovo.
Does it have anything to do with the battery? The battery on my Lenovo is unhealthy, weak, can not be fully charged.
"see if it has a wake on usb option, then you should be able to power it up with a keyboard or mouse button press."
Will you please explain more and give some details on this method? I am not good at computers.
Really appreciate your goodwill trying to help me.
Thank you again.
Diano
youll have to dig through the bios and look for wake on usb. im not familier enough with their bios, we only have a handful of them at work. but if it has it, it will cause it to wake up whenever it senses usb activity.
no prob!

Back